Heart strings have been plucked...

Pond James Pond

After all this talk of BP and BP rifles, it seems one local gun shop has decided to stock some BP products.

Don't yet know if that includes powder.

I saw and handled on item and I liked it very much. It seemed very solid and very well-made by my limited judgement. Heavy, despite not being big.

So what was it?
A Pietta Smith Carbine in .50cal.

Seems an unusual design: a cross between a muzzle-loader and a single-shot because it has some sort of removable, thick-wlled case that you charge separately with powder and projectile and load into the split breech. The cap goes on the outside as usual.

The whole thing oozes solidity, to me at least.

It is very pricey, so I'm just satisfying my curiosity right now.

Does anyone have one?
Or shot one?

One big limiting factor that sprang to mind (although it may be a non-issue) is that, like the Uberti revolving carbine I saw online, is chamber size.

I saw the brass chambers that you can use to load the gun and it seems as though you'd be limited in how much powder you can put into one of those cases as you are with the chambers of the Uberti cylinder.
On top of that it is a .50cal, not .44, so more bullet to shift.

Is this a problem for the Smith Carbine?

I don't even know if they are good guns to own, but it looked gorgeous!!

I shot a borrowed [original] Smith for many years in the N-SSA. The Smiths and Maynards
are the N-SSA Go-To guns for the carbine events (followed by the Sharps).

Great design, easy to load for, balance well, accurate... and will last long after you & I are gone.

You might want to check in on the N-SSA forum for opinions on the Pietta Smith Carbine.

Smiths are popular for competition carbine shooters in the N-SSA. But from what I've heard many of the reproductions require massaging to make them up-to-snuff for competition.

Steve

I love the look of it. I love the design. I love the fit and finish following a visual inspection. I don't love the price!!

It is twice the price of a Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Hunter in .50cal! That is another gun that I find very beautiful to look at although so far only ever on a screen!!

But there is something about the convenience of the single shot, breech loading design, not to mention the increased ease of cleaning!

A barrel held by a wedge or two with a hooked breech is fairly easy clean. No concern for damaging the wood.

You're presumably describing the Smith carbine there.

Any tips for cleaning a regular percussion muzzle-loader such as the Hawken?

No, he described the Hawken muzzleloader. Push out the wedges and lever the barrel up and out of the stock. Its "hooked breech" comes away from the plate screwed into the stock. Clean, dry, and oil the barrel without getting the stock wet or oily.

A friend has a Smith carbine that is a good shooter.
Understand that it is a CARBINE and does not have the power, range, and accuracy of a rifle.
The original design was to use cartridges made out of that amazing new material... rubber. Modern reproductions use plastic or brass.

If you want more power from a "capping breechloader" the 1859 Sharps has stood the test of time.
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sch...-1859-e-1863-sharps-1859-sharps-infantry.html

No, he described the Hawken muzzleloader. Push out the wedges and lever the barrel up and out of the stock. Its "hooked breech" comes away from the plate screwed into the stock. Clean, dry, and oil the barrel without getting the stock wet or oily.

Well, that is brilliant news!! :)

I confess the Hawken has beautiful lines to me and is still exactly half the price of breechloaders.

Having learnt about the loading limitations of the also aesthetic Remington Revolving Carbine the first thing that occurred tome was that the Sith .50 would have a similar problem and you confirm that withy your comment about range and power.

In that sense, the Hawken would not be limited in power by some case capacity and at 28" would still develop some oomph.

Whilst I may not shoot such a rifle I'd still rather get one with the potential for being a good, versatile buy.

I also heard about some Pedersoli percussion action that took 45-90 brass!! Ever heard of that monster?!

you can load it with bulk powder or paper cartridges or the brass shells.
The ladder sight is not marked for elevation to yardage though.
meant to be either full down or full up.
But it does pack a hell of a wallop with that big slug.

It is plenty powerful enough and a long enough range for any American Big Game you may with to pursue.
Mine has very good accuracy out to 100 yd. Haven't shot any farther.
Can't see much farther and too long a walk.

bulk or paper cartridges you get about 80 to 85 grains.
the brass about 55 to 60 gr. But it is more tightly confined so gives a bigger bang and a bit more oomph,

It it easy enough to clean. Just like a break action .410 about ten minutes and you are done.
Plus you can see from breech to muzzle to verify it is clean unlike the traditional muzzle loader.

And since not everybody and his brother makes one, and you are getting more gun ( enhancements / evolution in design) yes they cost more.
But the Piettas are a bit better built on average than the older ones by now defunct companies.

I got two one is new in box, willing to part with that one. maybe both would have to think on it a bit.

Last edited:
Back