Hearing protection

fasteddie

Inactive
I'm interested in buying electronic hearing protection.Does anyone have a site for comparison testing or maybe just firsthand general knowledge.How are the protection rating numbers arrived at? Is NRR21 better than NRR19 or is it the other way around? Thanks in advance.

The higher the number, the greater the protection. However, with electronic muffs, the NRR rating is for the muffs without any electronic enhancement.

The only first hand experience I have is with the Dillon/Peltor 7-S which works quite well in blocking high Db sounds while amplifying low level sounds if desired. I have also heard that the Pro-Ears models are very good.

If you do a lot of rifle shooting, the smaller muff models such as the Dillon/Peltor 6-S, Dillon HP1 or the Pro-Ears smaller muff model (don't know number) would be better as you will not be bothered by the muff impacting the stock and affecting your cheek weld.

The above is all JMHO, YMMV.

I use Browning electronic muffs. I believe the rating on them is 21db. They're real compact and comfortable to wear. The downside is the price. I paid $199 for them.

I've heard nothing but good reviews on the Dillon electronics muffs.

Guys, I'm jumping in here, I'm not familiar with how these things work, what's the principle behind them.

p.s. I don't do an extreme amount of shooting, but for bird hunting what I've been using is the small rubber ear plugs that have the hole in them, (they let in the normal noise but are supposed to block the gun noise) any opinions on these ?

Gus~ - I have a pair of that type of ear plug which I use when using any 2-cycle stuff (leaf blower, chain saw, etc.) They work fine for an application like that. The NRR is low, around 5 to 10 or so. If you only go bird hunting in open fields, they are probably sufficient for that also. But if you do any kind of range work, indoors or out, you should get better hearing protection.

The electronic muffs are designed to stop most direct sounds and to allow sounds picked up by a set of microphones to reach your ears through speakers in the muffs. The sound is filtered or attenuated by the electronics so that the sound you hear is within acceptable limits. There are several different circuit designs that accomplish this, some are better than others. Some will cut out all sounds when a noise above a certain threshold is detected. Others will clip the noise spikes so that nothing above a certain level reaches your ears but you still hear the noise and other background noise without interruptions.

I've had my Dillon HP-1s for about 6 months now.

I am finding them to be a mixed blessing. They do attenuate the sound w/o actually cutting it off, or 'clipping'. So, let's say you are standing next to a shooter who is emptying a standard cap Glock at a good rhythm. Your buddy is simultaneously talking to you. You do not miss out on every other word he says because the ciruitry 'shut off' at the blast. BUT, they do not provide the same level of blast reduction as straight muffs, and far less than plugs. IOW, in order to amplify ambient sounds, the gunfire must also pass through the cups louder than it otherwise would.

I've tried this several times during several different range sessions. The higher you turn up the volume, the louder the shots reach your ears. When turned completely off, they appear to act just like normal muffs. For example, I moved from my usual center bench at my outdoor club to one up against a sheet metal divider. The next discharge was noticeably uncomfortable compared to when I was in the open area. I turned them off, and completed the string unfazed.

The best of both worlds seems to be this. Install your normal set of earplugs, then set the muffs at max volume. In my guesstimation, it seems as though I retain 'normal' hearing, combined with the absolute deepest of suppression levels. When the spring pressure of the muffs starts to agitate me, or my sweaty ears need some air, I can remove them w/o risking my eardrums. FWIW, this is the only way I would consider the use of these devices in an indoor range. The reflection off of the walls would be far too uncomfortable(read dangerous) on the ears with it set at any sort of useful volume.

Thanks for your reponses. (The higher the number the better the muff)Great,now I know what to look for. I shoot both pistol and rifle and bought a set of low profile muffs for rifle work and they work ok but I need more protection-hence-electronic. Victor Louis,very good points,especially concerning the volume control.I wasn't aware that turning up the volume increased the decibel level for both loud noises and talking I'll have to do more research on this.Maybe there's a muff that shuts off the loud noises faster than another one?I'll check around. THANKS ALL fasteddie

I've used peltor tac 6's for a year with great results both with long gun, handgun and both indoor and outdoor range. If your going to instruct, they are the cats pajamas. My only complaint is that they do turn themselves off after your off the range. Thats my own fault. I've seen them for sale for 99 dollars ever since the Tac7 came out.
Think Safe Stay Safer
C

Mal H, thanks for the info.

Bird hunting is all I use them for so I guess I'm OK.

p.s. were we talking about the same ones, these are rubber
with a bit of metalic inside the end that sticks out of your ear?

Yep, I'm pretty sure they are the same ones. The metal part can be unscrewed and there is a tiny piston inside that is supposed to close when a concusive noise hits it. They work well for their intended use. Sharp cracks from pistols and rifles isn't one of their intended uses. I agree though that they are fine for SG's in the field.

[amended after checking the plugs and not depending on memory]
You can unscrew the small metal tube for cleaning. What I called a piston is actually a membrane type check valve which cannot be removed. The name on the small plastic carrying case is "Earvalve".

[Edited by Mal H on 01-11-2001 at 08:36 AM]

I have tried several brands of electronic muffs. The Pro-Ear muffs are the best. First of all they don't clip. The Pro-Mag model is a little heavy, but has the highest NR (26). The Pro-Slim is lighter, but with less NR (21). Howard Leight Leightning muffs have the highest NR of any regular muffs at 31. They are bringing out a new model this year. It will be their Leightning muff with Pro-Ear electronics. Should be ideal as it will be light in weight.
When shooting indoors I use plugs and muffs.

Back