Hearing Protection while Hunting

Pathfinder45

Who makes good earplugs that let you hear normally but block gunfire from damaging your hearing? I always wear earplugs when shooting except when hunting. But the plugs I use are the disposable foam type that are very effective at blocking all sound, all the time. As I run a chainsaw and chipper on a daily basis; I'm very happy with the plugs I use and they also work well for shooting. But I would never wear them while hunting. Who uses something better that they can recommend that also doesn't break the bank? Preferably plugs, not muffs? I know that the best is never cheap....

Personally, I use passive muffs or plugs when deer hunting hunting. I only put them on when preparing to shoot, which there is almost always plenty of time to do.

And I disagree that you don't need hearing protection for hunting. While it is true that repetitive or constant loud noise cause the most damage, even a single loud noise is sufficient to cause some degree of permanent hearing loss.

Hunting small game with a 1858 Uberti black powder carbine the cylinder is so close to my face .I wear ear plugs I use the ones with the plastic cord I leave the left ear plug in and put the right one in when I might shoot it hangs down to about where my pocket on my shirt is and is easy to find and put in .

Back