Hearing protection on snake patrol?

tyro

Those of you who have used shot cartridges in revolvers for snake patrol: Do you use hearing protection? If so, what type, brand, etc.?

Is there some kind of hearing protection that can be used that is conducive to being worn for long periods of time, so as to be already in place in case the gun needs to be used expeditiously?

tyro,

I don't use hearing protection when I shoot snakes in a chance encounter. That is because I usually don't have any with me. I've never had a sound problem at times like those. If a serpent is within strike distance, you will never hear the shot that kills him. If you are hunting them on purpose, that is different.

On the rare ocassions I deliberately seek them out, I use either muffs, or plugs. My favorite hearing protection is a set of Silver Creek Electronic Muffs that both amplify and silence. It helps hear the snakes I don't see and still protects my ears when the shot goes off.

Doc Hudson

Thanks, Doc.

I have a set of electronic muffs (Dillon Peltor 7), but I can't wear a hat with them; so I don't don them unless/until I am going to shoot. I was hoping to find out about something that may not exist: something that fills the gap between the two options you have described - no protection or electronic muffs.

Anyone know of electronic hearing protection that can be worn with a hat (gotta have my hat :)).

You aren't wearing hearing protection while looking for rattlers, are you? You may not hear the snake you are about to step on!

I'd view this sort of like bird hunting. You're most likely in the field and shots are few and far apart and there is usually very little sound reflection from nearby objects. Shot shells from handguns aren't exactly like shooting magnum loads at an indoor range. I'm not saying don't use hearing protection, but I wouldn't fault you for not doing it.

Now eye protection is a different matter. I would recommend it for any shooting, anytime, anywhere.

I use these cheap S&W Brand earplugs. They're connected by a cord so I can just throw them around my neck and go! They're always right there so if I need them it only takes about 3 seconds to stick em' in. And they're made out of this rubbery plastic so they don't take a while to expand like foam plugs. You can get them at most Wal-Mart stores for only a couple bucks. They fit well and are very comfortable too.

I use Walker's Game Ear when hunting. They are a battery operated device similar to a hearing aid and look the same as the "behind the ear" model hearing aid. If I remember correctly, they clip any noise exceeding 110db, but you can hear otherwise normal, safe sounds just fine. Or you can turn up the volume and hear better than you would normally.

But really, if you watch your step and pay attention to where you put your hands, the chances of being bitten by a venomous snake are extremely low, almost zero. If you're that concerned you can buy a set of snake chaps to wear for $40 or $50. The times I have shot a rattlesnake for the pot there was always plenty of time to pop in a set of standard ear plugs.

I know what you mean about hats and muffs!!!!

Mine won't work with my hat, but they are OK with a baseball cap.

I am reasonably sure both Wolff and Silver Creek now make electronic muff models that go around the back of the head rather than over the top.

Doc Hudson

Many thanks for the informative and oh-so-helpful responses! This web site keeps coming through with fresh reasons for being oh-so-gratefully appreciated.

Back