Headlamp for hunting

Nathan

Surely some of you have found a decent under $30 rechargeable headlamp for hunting.

What did you get?

I’m thinking about LINK

Really can’t see spending much more, but I would like a couple hours of use for gutting and dragging.

Haven't tried that one. I have a few of the Cabela's Headlamps that they run on sale for $20 and they have worked great for me. AAA batteries are easy to carry extra.

I just don't think it matters much. I've had several over the years and they all seem to work for me. Even some cheaper ones.

Some features I like:

I don't really want rechargeable. I find it easier to just carry spare batteries. I may camp/hunt for several days in the same location with no way to recharge batteries.

It doesn't need to have a lot of power. I just need enough light to see 10' or so and to load/unload guns in the dark. More power drains batteries faster. If I need to see farther I have a more powerful light in the pack.

I like the ones with the option of a white and red light. The red light is great for up close work and it doesn't mess up night vision. It doesn't alert game that you are nearby either.

My favorite actually clips to the bill of a cap rather than a headband.

When we were backpacking we used headlamps extensively, and we developed a preference for Princeton Tec headlamps, especially the EOS model. Here's a link to the lineup of Princeton Tec headlamps, some models are within your price point. I also prefer replaceable batteries over rechargeable models; lithium batteries work well for long life and operate well in colder temperatures. Check Princeton Tec's outlet page, they generally have some good bargains on discontinued headlamp models.

I have a couple from harbor freight...they zoom from food to an amazing spot...they are not rechargeable.... Have nice head gear...they are on sale now for $9.99....they are led and batteries last a long time

You should check them out....they are the best head light I ever used

Ocharry

My favorite headlamp is the Black Diamond Storm. It usually sells for around $50 but it's on sale frequently for closer to your budget. Good bright light with multiple settings including a red lens. Not rechargeable but you could use rechargeable batteries in it no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamon...rds=black+diamond+storm&qid=1602943082&sr=8-4

If I'm trying to go a little lighter I'll go with Princeton Tech. I'll wear it around my neck so it's there in case I need it. They have several varieties of different brightness and cost.

https://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Te...43262&sprefix=princeton+tec+he,aps,324&sr=8-2

Keeping in mind that lights, head or not, isn't legal while hunting everywhere, you can get one that runs a very long time on 2 AA batteries(I think it's AA's. Might be AAA's. Only use the thing when the local power goes out.), for about $2.50 or less in a Dollar store. Even $10 is nuts. Most of 'em are made in China.

That's a good choice. i don't choose any that can't throw a beam over 200 lumens.
A. it's good for seeing farther in the dark when tracking a wounded deer.
B. It's good for seeing farther in the dark when you hear a mountain lion scream nearby when gutting a deer.

More isn't always necessary, but sometimes... It's comforting to have a high beam.

@doofus47....I like your thinking. You ever had much luck with colored lights when trailing blood? I have not. I’ve tried them.

So, my use cases are more like:
-flashing red/white so people could find me if I got hurt
-low red for walking in to a stand or blind
-flood white for gutting...100 lumens or more...200 better
-100+ lumen spot for walking out, looking for buddies, etc
-waterproof...in rains hard in OH
-Drop resistance, dust resistance....MT can be pretty dusty

I have seen all the 300-1000 turbo mode lights, but most cannot run that bright. They overheat and drop to 100 lumens or so.

I do have a Nitecore P12 1000 lumen handheld that really runs at 1000 for an hour. That would get cat duty!

B. You think it'd help? Kitty is not interested in you. Kitty prefers fresh meat to carrion. If Kitty comes for you, it'll be from above and behind, way faster than you'll ever be.

I’m one of those luddites that think a man can do it all with just a stout knife and matches. He probably can, but two great inventions have come about:

1. Game shears- stout scissors that make dressing birds, rabbits and squirrel ten times easier.
2. LED headlamps- bright bright and long lasting so you can do those chores like dressing your pheasant when the sun goes down early here up north. Both hands are free and I can’t see in the dark like I could thirty years ago.

I am going to pick up 2 more headlamps. My wife keeps borrowing mine and keeps on losing them.

I'm telling you guys...you are missing the boat if you dont check out that harbor freight light!!!

For the money ...run time and bright zoom to flood and $10 bucks on sale....it is a hard head light to beat

I have and have had several....this one gets to go every time....I know HF dont get a lot of creds...but they hit a homer on this

My .02

Ocharry

Tired of AAA batteries

I do a lot of small stuff work. I also got really tired of buying AAA batteries.

A couple tips. Many of the headlights are actually made for 18650 Li ion cells. If it has the little holder for the three AAA cells it will also take one 18650 rechargeable. Just loose the little 3 battery adaptor.

The ultimate is the clip on type with a separate battery pack. Like your dentist wears. 100% awesome. I just used my last pair of glasses, close enough to the ones I have now. I just keep it set up that way.

Can get the clip on type on ebay or amazon. My battery pack will last a good 8 hours.

I’m pretty happy with the Nitecore NU17. I really couldn’t use much more light. Too much light working close hurts my eyes. A re AF l ~50 lumen flood and real 100 lumen spot is ideal to me with a 1-5 lumen red and 10-30 lumen spot for being inconspicuous.

Super light and small. Recharges easily with one of my 50 charge wires!

Nathan, i've been fortunate to not have to track often after dark. I used a high beam when last I did, but tbh the deer did't run far and I readily spotted in the dark the retinas of my wounded deer's eyes looking at me first, so the blood trail was a moot point.

T.Oheir: I agree that a cat that wants you will come from behind and quietly as it did for this Colorado hunter recently, but I also know that I don't see in the dark nearly as well as them, and I'm not adverse to making up that difference.

Back