HD Quick shotgun access...

WoundChannel

I am getting a shotgun anyday now and I wanted to know if there was a product which would allow me to mount it on the wall in my bedroom, keeping it safe from the kids, but still allowing me instant access in case I needed it? Thanks for any info you guys have.

Do you want it visible? When I picture 'mounted on the wall' I think of it being on display. So you need some sort of clamp mechanism like for skis? Or are you thinking more in terms of those small handgun boxes with the keypads that can mount wherever you like? I don't have anything in mind personally, but I figured these clarifications might help others memory.

I want it visible. I want it on a vertical wall mount, similar to what you might find in a automobile. The ones I have seen usually require a key to unlock which is much too slow. This would be used for HD, but it could also double as a conversation piece. :D Actually, if you guys know of a better product than I am describing, post it. Also, if you guys have a better idea, I would love to hear it. :)

Me too

I'm also interested in something like that for my
friend, who has a Rem. 870 for home defence, and who
also has a beautiful 4 yo daughter, who is what she
is defending. Needless to say, the gun needs to be
instantly accessible to Mom, but never accessible
to Daughter. I also thought about those quick-safes
for handguns. Is there anything similar for a shotgun?
There are so many technological ways this could be
done, but there seem to be very few products like this.
Voice activation, mechanical locks on finger length
(like the handgun safes), many possibilities.

Being tall, I had one mounted inside a big closet, over the door.

One note, a pump gun kept cruiser ready(Action locked closed on an empty chamber, full mag,safety on) is very hard for an untrained person to operate, but can be made ready to fire in a second or two by one of the cogniscienti.

Not a big fan of trigger locks, but there's one brand out there of the clamshell type, that requires no key. It opens to a powerful squeeze, way more than a child can produce.

Check out the little-known Gun Clamp.

The Gun Clamp seems awkward at first, but with a little practice, access to the gun is fairly quick. The drawback is it is key operated (as opposed to, say, simplex buttons).

While the unit can be quite securely anchored to a wall or floor, one plus is that even should the unit be forced off the surface to which it is anchored, it still functions as a strong trigger lock.

Another drawback is that the manufacturer is in New Zealand, and AFAIK there is no US distributor. I ordered units direct from the manufacturer, and they had to be sent via international FedEx.

Some places to try

cheaperthan dirt.com

WX-117.jpg

also search for Mossberg loc box gun lock at that site.

Sombody makes a quick-acess wall safe. This mounts in your wall (obviously) between two studs. Opens with simplex buttons or key. Should be pretty quick.

May be a little spendy, but can be used for more than just your shotgun.

A pipe safe would be very cheap and simple to make. You buy a length of scrap pipe (10 cents/lb) of sufficent diameter and length to fit your gun. Drill two holes in a line on each end of the pipe and pass bolts through the holes. Use those plastic inserts that expand when a bolt is forced in to expand them into place when inserted in the two holes you'll now drill into the wall stud.

Weld a plate on one end, and a hinged plate on the other. The shotgun is inserted up into the pipe, the bottom plate closed, and the lock passed through the clasp. Less than $30 and it will withstand anything a $300 lock box would.

Wallsafe.gif

And in case you think I'm BSing you,

pipesafe.jpg

Same idea, just different scale. BTW, the 50megs site is 404 so don't bother.

I used to use two Bike Hooks. They are available at any hardware store. I got one straight one and one curved one. I put the straight one down the barrel and the curved one cradled the buttstock. I put this ABOVE the door which I could easily reach being tall. I keep the safety on, empty chamber. I have to take the safety off and depress the slide release (It's an Ithaca 37 M&P 8 shot) then rack the slide. I can assure you that anybody in the house WILL hear that noise and immediately recognize it for what it is. Have kids myself, no worries.

Back