HD practice with Shotguns....

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
I'd like to share some ideas and techniques for realistic and effective practice with your HD shotgun of choice.All of this has been tested and applies to all shotguns/ shooters. Remember to be SAFE at all times.

First, practice ammo. While it's cheaper, field or trap loads should not be used exclusively in practice sessions. One has to check out one's duty load(s). And, one has to get used to the recoil of same. BTW, IME, there's been some cases of incompatibility, where a given shell does not work reliably with a given weapon.. So mix the ammo up,use light loads if you wish(and if you're starting another shooter like a spouse or grown child)but always use some duty loads.

Next,targets. I recommend every range sessions include some clays,which can even be thrown like a frisbee.The idea is to get used to shooting moving targets and to concentrate on a spot,not the whole image.Other clays can be hung on strings, or set against a dirt bank.This is not only good practice, but fun.

For inexpensive but innocous man targets, use paper grocery bags. I've made L shaped target stands from scrap lumber and hung a bag over it. If you check,the side of a grocery bag duplicates the area of the vitals on a human.Of course,you can use commercial targets or cardboard also.

And try these....

Exercise I, set up 5 targets at distances from 10-25 yards. Starting off with a round in the chamber and 4 in the mag, shoot each target once. Time and score. Passing is at least 70% hits(count holes) in say, 6 seconds.

Exercise II, start with just 4 in the weapon and repeat Exercise I, combat loading your 5th round through the ejection port and firing.

Exercise III, hang some clay targets from your stands and hit them while they're swing ing in the breeze or use a string to get them moving.

Now some variations....

Set up a large box or other psuedo-barricade on your firing line and use that for cover. Try starting a course of fire and firing as you make your way to it for "Cover".Now shoot from your other shoulder, maybe you'll need that cover on that side sometime.

Designate one target as a hostage and hit everything else.

Try shooting 3 targets, reloading 2 rounds, shooting 2.

Try repeating in low light, or after aerobic running in place to duplicate the stress from actual AS scenarios.

Mix in a little hip shooting, and once in a while try a very close target.

All this will, IMO do more good than all the bells and whistles we seem to focus on. Have fun, and be safe.....

Thanks for the info Dave. I might add that those who have weapons ligths to make sure that the light beam is regulated to the patterns and practicing with the light as things will appear different under a low light condition using a light as opposed to daylight conditions.
Under duress, if using a weapons light, the operator will most likely aim with the light beam instead of watching where the pattern goes. Therefore if the light beam and the pattern are the same there should be no problems.
Don't put on a weapons light just b/c it looks cool. Use it or lose it. :cool:

Another good thing to try, since most h/d situations happen under low-light conditions, is use very dark glasses. (I have welding/torch cutting glasses) and practice all the above while wearing them. It will help you learn to hit targets when light is low and conditions are less then ideal. You will be able to see, but not the same as shooting on a bright sunny day. This is good when you think about the fact that most criminals operate at night anyway :)

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

Thanks Dave. Good training tips. I try to practice turning a corner, cutting the pie, low ready to ready and tactical reloads. Then I also shoot mixing the ammo loads up a bit. I must admit I save the slugs for last. Finish of the day with a few training slug shots at 25 yard distance.

Thanks, guys. I'd like to emphasize what I've written is not the One True Way, but is a good regimen and approach to HD shotgun usage.IMO, there should be more emphasis on training vs expensive extras and custom gunsmithing, tho they do have merit also.

As for slugs, IMO they are of limited use in HD, tho of great utility in civil unrest, hunting,etc. I like the fact that my HD 870 makes a faritomiddlin' deer gun,and my deer 870s a pretty good HD weapon.

------------------

Dave,
If I may, I'd like to expand a point about the HD/deer gun.
My deer gun IS my Hd. it is tactical enough for me with the plug removed. and in an actual shooting (hopefully never) the jury might not be as horrified by its non-tactical wood stock average appearance. I think sometimes that full-dressed tactical look could be a liability.
[no sir, I wasn't looking for trouble, but this guy came at me and all I had was this old 'deer gun' some #4 bird shot...]
my 870 is a Hd 50 weeks out of the year. I just add sling, rifled choke tube and mag plug for deer season.
I practice with it regularly and it's totally reliable.
any thoughts?

Actually...

That's the primary reason my HD gun is a wood stocked, very civilian looking 870, which I intend to use for sport shooting this spring.

I feel far more comfortable if a prosecutor was brandishing that than..say...a black mossberg or worse, an AR-15.

Not that these don't have their advantages; but they make it look a whole lot more like you were setting out to blow away the poor disadvantaged, "society is to blame" perp who elected to come attack your family one night...

My 870 has 5 rounds, looks very civilian, is extremely reliable and...being a 12 gauge, will probably cut the f*cker in half...

It's just my hunting gun officer :)

Here's the deal....
My HD 870 is the first one I ever had, say from the age of 12 or so. Pop gave it to me, he bought it used around 1956. Standard full choke goose bbl. I started to modify it around 77, I was working at the Md house of Correction and thought I needed a good HD tool more than another goose gun.So, the bbl got shortened by a good smith, a ramp front sight,Lyman peep, and then the mag extension. By this time I was instructing firearms as well as working in the prison, and it served me on the range better than the issue stuff. Later, the issue stuff started to resemble same, tho I can't claim credit. Rewrote the course of fire also.

I used the piece for hunting also, and Brenneked enough deer to have some ideas on what works. So, I picked up a surplused Cruiser gun and started working on it. The riot bbl was replaced by a rifle sighted Rem choke bbl and then a peep was added, mag extension,etc. By this time both of these had forcing cone work done and the slap triggers were done into clean 4-5 lb SAFE triggers that worked well with slugs. The big difference is the deer gun has a 20 inch bbl vs 18 and a skosh on the WIHTF Special.

As for defensibility, they're like my old duty weapons,and say Wingmaster, not Intimidator, Persuader,etc.With hundreds of hours of instruction and training behind me, they are effective and will be easily defended in court.

"Why did I use a shotgun? Because all my training indicated it was the best choice for the situation at hand"....

Dave. I tried your suggestions. Darn. Now I have a house full of holes. What did I do wrong? BTW, The vet bill was pretty steep too and my son won't have to worry about pianno lessons any more. Those two sorta cancel each other out... Save money here and spend it there. You know.

[This message has been edited by badgerarms (edited August 24, 2000).]

Badger, just because this thread's about Home Defense doesn't mean live ammo practice in the home is OK. Put the shotgun down, back away,call the doctor and tell him the pills aren't working....

I dunno Dave - my Dad wacked the biggest rat I've ever seen with his 1100 one Saturday after the rat fought a neighbors cat to a standstill. The downside is that we lived in a subdivision - the upside is that nosey neighbors became much less nosey. Sounds like Badger won't have those pesky door to door sales folks stopping by for a while.

Giz

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glamdring:
So the house is wounded, the key issue though, was it stopped? ;)[/quote]

I tell you, on house sized targets, that 00 buck really works. You know, that darn house hasn't moved a bit since I done shot it full of holes. I'm not taking any chances though. It might just up and whoop my behind if I get near it.

About the rat... I shot a Pigeon once with my pellet rifle and the darn thing hit the ground and started chasing after me! I kicked it when it got close to me and that finished it off. My guess would be that it thought it was getting away. The point here is that You'd think a pellet rifle would have enough power to knock down the bird. It was a through-and-through penetration too. After all of that, the durn Flying Rat still had some kick-butt pigeon energy left in it. I think I'll take my 1100 out next time. Them quick follow-up shots are a must with charging killer pigeons. Hmmmm, wonder if we put the Pigeon and Rat in a cage to see who would win?

Back