HD/3gun suggestions please

scroadkill

So Ive got a number of shotguns and i'm thinking I'de like to arrange one to be a bit more handy for home defense. Likewise a few buddies and i are starting to shoot some light backyard 3gun "competitions"..

in house:
Rem 1100 12ga w/ 28" vr + 3 round ext.
Rem 1100 magnum w/ 30" VR 3" 12ga (that I have no use for)
Rem 11 20ga

All are family hand me downs and I don't want to sell.

And I just dropped $400 on a Benelli Nova 12ga/28" for my kid. and im feeling poor at the moment.

Any ideas that are better than cutting down the 1100 mag and drilling another gas port.

I found I could keep up with the guys running semi-autos with my Mossberg 590. I had a local smith smooth out the action a bit.

You say you have a 3" 1100 you have no use for? Sounds like you have trading stock to me.

I once had a Benelli M2 and it was hands down the best semi-auto shotgun I have ever owned.

When I first started shooting shot gun matches (side match, or 3 Gun) I would check out the course and the different stages. I found that a short barrel really isn't needed most of the time. I bet your 28" would be "Good-to-Go" for a lot of your shooting. I like a longer barrel for stages where I must stand & shoot 5 or 6 pepper popper at on time. The weight, and the longer barrel will get you back on target (after the recoil), faster (IMO). Even the 30"er will be a good choice, if you don't have to craw around in the mud, and shoot thru "Portholes" or from under tables...

As far as the 20 ga goes, that's a class thing, sometimes you may want to go the lighter class and win. Where as you would be in the middle of the 12 ga pack...:)

Last edited:
Remington 1100s and Benelli M2s seem to be the most popular among serious competitors. I would find a non vent ribbed 2-3/4" barrel for either of your 1100s and cut that down rather than trash a good vent ribbed barrel. With a 2-3/4" barrel the Magnum will run most anything, but beware of real heavy stuff ewith the magnum action sleeve and 2 gas ports. The non ribbed barrels go for cheap, too. Check ebay.

Back