Hawg hunt in Pennsylvania

Jack O'Conner

I got lost a couple times trying to find this place in the dark last Friday night. This hunting lodge is way back in the mountains south west of Breezewood, Pennsylvania headed toward the Mason-Dixon line. Plenty of curvy and steep roads with missing road signs. But once I arrived, I found the lodge to be fairly new and decorated with dozens of taxidermy mounts of exotic game animals. Several friendly hunters were present but I had my own room with comfortable bed.

Saturday morning breakfast was announced at 6:30AM. After a large breakfast we split into groups of 5 hunters and were driven to the 500 acre hunting preserve via Kawasaki Mules. We hiked quite a bit before finding any hogs. Some of it was very steep and tiring. I shot my hog at about 10:30AM. It was a 50 yard walking shot in timber. My 200 grain bullet (35 Remington core-lokt) tore through the chest and the animal rolled down the steep slope until a tree was struck. A huge exit hole was noted. It never knew what happened. We used a cable winch to pull it up the slope where the hog could be transported with the Kawasaki Mule. Estimated live weight: 185 lbs.

One of the guys hunted with a Ruger 44 MAG revolver shooting hollow tip bullets. He shot his hog 5 times to down it and once to finish the job. He was extremely disgusted with this bad performance. The bullets penetrated very poorly through the thick chest wall. I strongly recommend do not hunt hogs with hollow tip revolver bullets! Years ago, Elmer Keith said the same thing.

Later on, the guides took us back to the barn where our hogs were skinned and quartered by professional butchers. Then a big hot lunch was served. I was home by 5PM.

This is a high fence hunting operation named Whispering Hollows. It’s basically a “canned hunt” but I had a good time, met new friends, and came home with much meat. No criticism from me.

Jack

The 44 mag bullet was poor. He would have done much better with a premium bullet like the barnes all copper .I like full penetration on deer and the premiums will easily do that .All too many bullets are designed for rapid expansion - not good for pigs.
The 35Rem is an old favorite in NY and PA for deer and black bear .With a good gun like the Marlin you can get a 220 grain bullet if you want to get serious but the 200 works well .
Enjoy your piggy !:)

He hunted with American Eagle ammo which did not penetrate well at all. In contrast, I've had very good luck with Speer's 270 grain Deep Curl bullet loaded in my CVA Optima in-line muzzle loader. Never recovered a single slug from deer!

A so-called canned hunt is not for every hunter. But for me the experience was positive and far better than buying my hams and sausage at the store.

Jack

He hunted with American Eagle ammo which did not penetrate well at all.

I learned that years ago when my 240gr JHP (semi-jacketed was common then) killed my big buck, but there was only a little over 100gr of bullet that went through the vitals. I then switched to a cast SWC, which always exited, but made a small hole. Then Hornady came out with XTP and I've never been disappointed since. I'll never understand putting out that kind of money for a hunt and then using the cheapest, off the self ammo you can buy. I only load premium hunting bullets for hunts. Maybe its over priced and overkill, but its not like I'm punching paper or shooting tin cans with it.

Years ago we did a canned hunt at Tioga Preserve in Pa. I don't think they are still around. It was fun, as long as you understand what it is and make teh best of it. Loved the meals. :D

Back in the 80s, I killed half a dozen boar using a S&W .44 mag and Silvertip 210gr. bullets. They were all neck shots.

It all depends where you shoot them.

This older Marlin was built in the 1950's. It features a 24 inch barrel and abbreviated magazine with no barrel bands. The rifle belonged to my Uncle Larry and he hunted in Canada with it to take a moose and large bear. No problems at all toppling these big animals with the 35 Remington cartridge. I bought the rifle from his estate for a fair price and have been loving it ever since.

Jack

Last edited:
monte carlo

Is the butt aftermarket? I have not seen a monte carlo stocked half tube.

May send you a PM regards your hunt, watch for it.

Regards, bama

I'm not sure about this raised comb butt stock. It has the Marlin "bullseye" imbedded near the sling swivel but the grip cap is unfamiliar to me. No white line spacers are present. It could be an aftermarket stock that was professionally installed. The rifle belonged to my Uncle Larry but we can't seek an answer from him since he died a few years ago.

Jack

Always wanted to participate in one of those high fence boar hunts. They aren't real expensive. Years ago in Texas, I was invited on several boar hunts on high fence operations (for free) and turned them down because at the time, I didn't think it was fair chase or really hunting. I have learned since.

Nice hog. I was on a deer drive in December and had a sow come out about 25 yds from me. I was using buckshot and shot her in the neck between her head and shoulder. She turned and right at me. 4 more shots and she goes down. I'm about 5-7 steps from her and she gets back up. I pulled my 629 Smith and had to put 4 rounds of 300gr XTP's running 1100fps in her chest. Surprisingly, the XTP's went right through with lots of damage. Granted its not my first bullet of choice for hogs but it does work. My first choice would be a really hard cast Keith Style bullet in the 240-300gr range. Even after this, I still love hog huntin. Especially since I can do it all year round and at night.

Back