Hawes Western Marshall in .44 Magnum

Kirk Keller

Has anyone ever heard of this weapon. I had one many years ago. It had a case hardened frame and rosewood grips. Quite a nice piece. I had to part with it due to financial hardships but have never lost the sentimental attachment. I'm interested in finding out as much as I can about it. I may even pursue reacquiring one.

IIRC, they didn't import them for too long and they are not very common. The prices are not high, running around $250 tops, and they are not bad guns. I hope you find one if you want it, but if you want a good SA .44, a Ruger would be better and more easily obtained.

Jim

Hawes 44

KMK,
I have just the revolver you are talking about. No, it's not for sale. Seems like I bought it in 1967 ot thereabouts. I remember it coming by a local shipping company. The front sight was slightly askew so I had the gunsmith put on a new one and had the barrel cut down to 5.5". At the time, he (the gunsmith) pronounced the pistol "a solid sixgun". That designation always pleased me. Now-a-days, it does duty as my wife's cowboy pistol. Lots of luck finding one. Quantrill

Everyone

Thanks for the input. I believe however that I will follow Mr. Keenan's advice. That Ruger Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger looks VERY nice.

awesome hand gun

I have owned a JP Sauer n Sohn/ Haws western Marshall in 44 Magnum since April 1976. After using it for a number of years I found it to be quite accurate and used it in competition. One time and one time only in the past 30 years I fired 6 rounds in one hole at an NRA competition with it. I would suggest a beginner could use this firearm in a learning competition. Or just out playing around.

Herter's sold the very good Hawes .44 and .357 mag revolvers for $47 under their own name as the "PowerMag" model in '67. That was cheep even at the time!

Last edited:
Back