Hawes 1851 colt navy confederate model

cowboys1062

I own a Hawes 1851 colt navy,36cal. Confed.model.It was made in Ilaly.XXV is stamped on the brass frame so I looked up the code and I figure it was made in 1969. The over all condition I would rate as very good to excellent condition. On the right side of the barrel is stamped 36 CAL.NAVY MODEL made in Ilaly and on the left side of barrel is stamped HAWES FIREARMS CO. LOS ANGELES CALIF. Can anyone tell me anything about Hawes Firearms Company? When the company started and when they ended? I figure the pistol is about 45 years old. The bluing is very good with no rust,pitting, or scratches. Wood hand grips are also very nice with no marks. The action is very sharp and crisp. The bore is mirror clean with sharp rifling. I only fired it six times about 8 years ago. I guess I just want to know about the company and possible value of the pistol? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. cowboys1062.

Hawes was an importer and from the catalogs I've seen focused more on the cartridge guns of the late 19th century.

I had the exact same gun, same year too, and it was made by Armi San Paulo. Their marking should be on the bottom barrel flat covered by the loading lever.

It's value is what other brassers go for in good working condition, about $125-150.

I just bought ANIB Pietta steel frame 1851 .36 cal Navy for $185.00. I also have 2 other used steel framed 1851's in good condition that I bought for $100.00 & $125.00 in the last 5 years. No way would I pay more than $60.00-80.00 for a brass framed 1851. Just my personal opinion.

That Hawes...

...Prolly won't get shot much.

As GG says there are plenty of steel frame Colts out there that are very shootable.

The Hawes is fine with a light load....But my guess is that it will find its way to the "conversation piece" display.

My first handgun was a round-barreled Navy, in '69.
Brass frame.
Still have it, retired long ago because of that brass frame.

For 46 years I've wondered who really made it, only has "Williamson Arms Company" stamped on its barrel.

I see one Williamson Arms Company-marked brass-framed Confederate Navy sold recently on Guns America for $100.

I actually prefer that round barrel on the Navy. :)

You can Giggle Hawes & find out more about the operation.
Denis

I actually prefer that round barrel on the Navy.

The 51 navy with a brass frame and a round barrel should be called a Griswold & Gunnison. With a steel frame and a round barrel a Leech & Rigdon. With a brass frame and octagonal barrel a Schneider & Glassick. That ends todays class on Confederate revolvers.:D

Back