Hawaii poll - Most Support Handgun Ban

deanf

http://www.apbnews.com/newscenter/breakingnews/1999/11/14/hawaii1114_01.html

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>HONOLULU (AP) -- A media poll taken in the wake of Hawaii's most deadly mass shooting found most island residents favor a ban on the private ownership of handguns.

Of the 501 adults surveyed, 57 percent said they favored a handgun ban, while 34 percent said they would like to see all firearms banned in the state, The Honolulu Advertiser reported Sunday.

Thirty-eight percent were opposed any ban, and 5 percent said they were undecided, according to the telephone poll conducted for the newspaper Nov. 4-7 by Ward Research of Honolulu. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.4 percentage points.

Seven Xerox Corp. employees were shot to death at work Nov. 2 in Honolulu with a 9 mm handgun.

A coworker, Byran Uyesugi, 40, has been indicted on one count of first-degree murder and seven counts of second-degree murder. He also faces one count of second-degree attempted murder for allegedly shooting at, but missing, another Xerox employee.

Uyesugi, a copy machine repairman, had permits for 18 firearms.

Support for permit renewal

The poll also found 86 percent of those surveyed supported the idea of requiring firearm permits to be renewed on a regular basis, while 76 percent said they want a permit required to buy ammunition.

Allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons was opposed by 79 percent of those surveyed.

Dr. Maxwell Cooper, vice president of the Hawaii Rifle Association, suggested poll results may have been influenced by the Xerox shootings.

"You are approaching people who are relatively uninformed on the pros and cons, and they respond pretty much on an emotional bases -- especially when you take a poll after a multiple homicide such as (occurred at) the Xerox building," Cooper said.[/quote]

Of course we all know it doesn't matter what the majority says, it matters what the Constitution says.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

Why am I not surprised? Hawaii has never really had full Second Amendment rights...thus, the populace is frightened.

How 'bout taking this poll in Idaho or Montana?
Rich

From the same website -- the same people who answered that poll probably read this article, yet they still are against private ownership of guns. Baaa, baaa.
http://www.apbnews.com/newscenter/breakingnews/1999/11/04/honolulu1104_01.html

Security Policies No Barrier to Hawaii Gunman

Xerox Puts Up $50,000 to Start Fund for Victims' Families

Nov. 4, 1999

HONOLULU (AP) -- The head of Xerox Corp. says even the best-designed policy against workplace violence might not have prevented this week's massacre of seven employees.
"We've never had experience with anything like this," said Xerox President and CEO G. Richard Thoman, who arrived here Wednesday to help victims' families and employees cope with the tragedy. "We do have experience with employees going through problems and, by and large, our policies have worked very well with them."
Byran Uyesugi, 40, faces multiple murder charges after Tuesday's slayings at a Xerox parts warehouse.
Five-hour armed standoff

He surrendered after a five-hour armed standoff with police. He was likely to appear in court sometime today.
City Prosecutor Peter Carlisle said Uyesugi faces a first-degree murder charge, punishable by a mandatory life prison term without parole upon conviction. Hawaii has no death penalty.
Uyesugi also could face seven second-degree murder charges, punishable by mandatory life prison terms with the possibility of parole if convicted.
On Wednesday, family, friends and co-workers came to the building with flower leis, turning a low front wall into a memorial for the victims. Xerox had grief counselors available nearby.
Company security
Thoman said he doesn't believe Xerox could have done anything to prevent the violence.
"I don't think we know what caused him to do it. So, until we know what caused him to do it it's hard to know what our role in that may or may not have been," he said.
What triggered the shooting spree -- in which 20 9mm bullets were fired -- remains a mystery. Police detectives have not commented on what they have learned about Uyesugi's motive.
"He wasn't upset about anything," said Dennis Uyesugi, the suspect's brother. "He was eating ... acting normally."
Reports that Uyesugi was about to be fired are "absolutely false. He was under no threat of losing his job. There was no thought of it, no hint of it," Thoman said.
Psychiatric counseling
Thoman and the company's local vice president, Glenn Sexton, said a confidentiality policy prevented them from giving details of a 1993 incident in which Uyesugi underwent psychiatric counseling after he damaged an elevator door while on a service call at a local bank.
"When employees do have violent kind of behavior, we do ask them to undergo counseling," Thoman said.
Besides providing for victims' families' short-term and long-term financial needs, Xerox is putting up $50,000 to create a special fund to accept contributions to help the families, Thoman said.
The victims were identified as Melvin Lee, 58; Ron Kawamae, 54; Ron Kataoka, 50; Peter Mark, 46; Ford Kanehira, 41; John Sakamoto, 36; and Jason Balatico, 33.
'I'm in shock'
"I'm in shock. No sense, kind of senseless," said Reid Kawamae, who suspected the worst after his father didn't answer several pages. "Why? We'll probably never know."
Kataoka is survived by a wife and 11-year-old daughter he played basketball with in the driveway of their home. Lee was Uyesugi's supervisor and had worked at Xerox for at least 30 years. He leaves behind his wife, Ann, and three children.
Bob Bretschneider said the neighborhood is pulling together for the Lees.
"We're all rallying around the family until this gets squared away," Bretschneider said. "He destroyed seven people's lives."
At the state Capitol, security was increased the morning of the shooting when police learned that Uyesugi had serviced copiers there for the past 10 years.
"It was so shocking when we saw his picture on the TV," said Chief House Clerk Patricia Mau-Shimizu. "He was the average, normal, ordinary guy."
Dorothy Kameda has lived across street Easy Street from Uyesugi's family for 60 years and watched the suspect grow up.
"I was shocked. He never made trouble. He was very quiet. When I needed help, he'd come help me. I like to have people like him as my neighbor," she said.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

Why don't we just ban Hawaii? It seems that the universal cure amongst liberals for things they can't control is to ban something. Maybe the rest of us should take a page from their book.
First you make a list of the positive side of the existence of Hawaii:
1.) Cheap vacations in sorry hotels for
honeymooners
The negative side:
1.) Liberal sinkhole
2.) Mosquito-ridden
3.) Senator Inouye
4.) Poi (yechhhhh)
5.) Overpriced
Add all this up, and anyone can see that we don't need Hawaii. I personally can't see any reason for anyone to have a(n) Hawaii. Using the liberal logic (I can't see why anyone needs it), should be enough to remove Hawaii from the map.

Some men have no right to existence but are an embarrassment to other men--Nietzsche

Back