Having second thoughts on Pietta

GolfGuy

Now that I've had a couple days to play with the Pietta 58 Rem I'm thinking I might return it and get an Uberti. Also, I think I might like target sights, I know its not as traditional but I plan to do some hunting with it and I need all the help I can get.

Any thoughts on the two guns and are there any draw backs to target sights?

As usual I can't make up my mind... sheesh!

I'm really glad I found this forum, I appreciate all the helpful advice for a greenhorn.

What is it about the Pietta that you don't like? Is it a mechanical thing or more of a fit and finish problem that is making you consider returning for an Uberti? If it is only a simple mechanical issue like a trigger with too much creep or gritty feeling action, then there are simple do it yourself fixes for those that can make you very happy with what you have and according to what I have heard the Uberti's need the same kind of action work as the Pietta's.

As for the target sights, I have one with those too and I like it just as well as my fixed sight versions. With the target sights, you have the options of adjusting your sights for different ranges and windage and also you can adjust for your personal preferences for point of aim/point of impact. I like a gun to hit about a half inch above my point of aim at my target distance. Some people like to have a hold off that puts their POI above the POA by about 4 to 6 in, and with the target sights you can adjust for that.

The Uberti comes with an extra tall front sight dovetailed into the barrel. The loading lever catch is also dovetailed. This is probably a departure from the real thing but does come in handy if they should bust or if you file off too much front sight. Easy enough to order new parts from VTI or Cimarron and install them yourself.

That is a plus for the Uberti's. I've also heard that the exterior finish (bluing, polish, grips, etc) is a bit better than the Pietta.

Mostly it's the finish that bothers me, I know the mechanics can be tweaked and tuned a bit and from what I hear all guns pretty much need some tweaking out of the box.

The Pietta I have is stainless and it looks like the guy who finished it at the factory missed a few spots. Certain areas are excellent, almost mirror-like, other areas show tooling/buffing scratches etc..., either finish would be okay with me if it was all the same.

Also, it has some minor mechanical issues, you may have read in my other post, and those can be worked out though. But if the Uberti's are of better quality in general finish/mechanics etc... I might want to go that route.

This may be a case of a novice (me) not knowing the intricacies of the guns in general and I'll be equally as happy with either one once I learn more about them and get the bugs/burrs taken care of.

Also, I am leaning towards taget sights anyway, so if I'm going to return it and get one with sights I might as well spend a few dollars more and get the better quality gun.

If you aren't happy with it because of the issues it has, then those little things will always bug you. I say return it and get what you want and you will be much more satisfied about the whole deal.

Will you do me a favor though? If you make the switch I would like to know your thoughts about the Uberti since you have now seen a Pietta first hand you can contrast the differences for us. I've heard a couple of opinions comparing the Pietta to the Uberti, and I'd like to hear your thoughts about the two as well.

I had the tore-betweens about target vs fixed sights when I ordered mine, too. I like the way the fixed sights look, more authentic, you know, but I also wanted the gun to hit where it was looking. In the end I gambeled and got fixed sights. I had to mess around with my front sight some but it now is zeroed perfectly. I was prepared to file a dovetail in the top strap for a driftable rear sight if it came to that but thankfully it didn't.

The Uberti I have was beautifully finished and everything functioned perfectly out of the box, except that it shot way high. I managed to screw that perfect finish up installing a taller front sight. Now both my Pietta and my Uberti wear an antique finish, the latter out of necessity. So.... you could probably polish your stainless Pietta to your own satisfaction. If you exchange it, you are taking a chance something else will be wrong with the new one.

Steve

Right. Some of the people here believe the Ubertis are strong on colt replicas and the pietta remingtons are nicer. As to the finish issue. Stainless scratches easily but it's also extremely easy to polish it out nicely. On modern stainless, I clean them up with 600 grit sandpaper and you can use a buffing wheel for mirror finish.

Yes, I have considered that an Uberti will have issues of its own too and may not have any better finish than the Pietta.

I have made an executive descision (a rare thing for me). I went ahead and ordered an Uberti with target sights and I'll compare the two side by side before I return the Pietta. And yes, Low Key, I'll be happy to post the details of the comparison, albeit a novice's opinion.

It's just this kind of indesiceveness that drove my wife crazy, probably why we are divorced! :D

You are awesome mec, I've already printed it. Thanks again, I'll check back with Amazon in a little bit and see if it'll let me order the whole book this time.

SHEECH! Are we all divorced?
Hey while you are comparing, why not compare the Euroarms '58 Remmy (true copy of a Remington_Beals Old Model Army)too. I have small hands and it fits me better than either the Uberti (larger)or the (largest) Pietta.

Yep. All divorced.

I am ignorant of EuroArms except that they make very nice copies of the mississippi rifle and the 63 rifled musket. I can't find anybody who distributes EuroArms revolvers or parts.

I lost a 45/70 Sharps in my divorce. Sure do miss it!

Mec, you might try S&S sales, 718-497-1100. If they don't do it themselves, bet they can refer you.

Steve

Mec,
S & S sales is a Euroarms Distributer and you can download their catalorg, if I can find their website I'll post it you can download from that site. Brand new "58 Remmy's $190.00 and,I feel, worth every penny!

Great! do you know if they keep parts or provide customer support? Might not matter if Pietta or Uberti parts can be worked around to fit\

I do not know if they stock parts or not. Call and ask Phil he's the one Oldelm had check out the new '58 Rem. Navy for alignment and such. Phill did it for OldElm and I'm told he'll do the same for anyone that asks. I haven' talked to him but I believe Steve499 has talked to him. Very helpful. Phil may be the owner??

Yes, I talked to Phil. I didn't specifically ask him but I got the impression he was owner or part owner of the company. I was taken by his personability. I think he would bend over backwards to be helpful. I intend to order a Whitworth from him in two or three months and Dragoon's discussion about his smaller framed Remington has kinda got me slobbering for one of those, too. Tell me I'm normal.

Steve

As normal as I am...DUH...UH .. Yep I'm OK! ....:)
And I want a brandnew spanking Euroarms '58 remmy Army or two and a Navy and...and..and one of their '51 Colt Navy's. The two '58 Remmy's I have are great and feel goooooood!
yep normal...duh!......:p

Back