Having extra SBR uppers...

VUPDblue

There has been a lot of questions asked recently about having more than one short upper, but only one registered SBR lower. The questions have been whether or not it would be illegal (constructive posession) to own more than one short upper but only one SBR lower and one or more non-SBR lowers. On another site, a user posted a letter and the response from BATFE's NFA branch addressing this issue. I thought users here at TFL would get some useful information from it, so here are the scans...
atflettersbr1Medium.jpg

atflettersbr2Medium.jpg

Thanks for the good info! Things in writing from BATFE are always comforting! It should be clarified that having a "Pistol registered" lower would also make owning a Short barreled upper legal. I researched this heavily today as well as sent in Form 1 on a new RRA lower so I may pick up a SBR upper and not be considered a criminal! Funny how much a guy can spend on a project just because he found a good deal on an upper! It's worse than finding a bunch of brass on the ground and having to buy the weapon that fires that caliber as well as dies and components to load it!:eek:

The caveat is that *any* decision letters are always to be taken with caution
as 1) they are snapshots in time, 2) apply only to the addressee, 3) one really
never knows of subsequent decisions, rulings, or case law which may skew
what has been highlighted. Be extremely careful in how you rely on these
examples. They do not have the weight of get-out-of-jail cards.

Would that it be that decision letters from NFA Tech Branch be so easily
relied upon for clarification of what can/not be done. Sadly, the reality is
that viewing a letter(s) is just the tip of the iceberg.

Back