having a hard time finding the right revolver

mgr52

I am a C&R guy and want a revolver I can take to the range. At first I was looking at the Nagant M1895 as it is inexpensive and while ammo was more than I would like, it still seemed to work for me.

went to my lgs and the guy I was talking to also had one and didn't recommend it since I was going to be firing it.

So, I am hoping you guys can point me in the direction of a reasonably priced C&R revolver

Here is a nice H&R 38 Very inexpensive www.auctionarms.com Look for Item #9471148
There are others out there, alot of them are pretty expensive though, Like an Older Smith, or a Colt Peacemaker.
I will keep an eye out for you.
If you dont mind an Automatic, the Tokerev Pistols are nice, and very inexpensive to shoot. I have one and really like it.
I like revolvers also and would really like to own a Smith and Wesson Victory Model with the shoulder Holster.

Last edited:
thanks for the heads up, originally I was unsure what to think of those top break style revolvers but am opening up to them the more I see them

Hey MGR52..I own & shoot a Nagant revolver. Ugly, yes. Dependable, Yes. If you can purchase the .32 cylinder that is available for these it's a tad cheaper to light up. As for the break-tops, I've got a few of them in .38 S&W and .32 S&W as well as a .22 7 shot. Between GunBroker & AuctionArms you should be able to gather up a few for far less then a "modern" gun. And their more fun to shoot. Just make sure that the revolver is in good shape & will take smokeless ammo. If not smokeless, find a source for black powder loads. Enjoy.

Hey Bop, my main concern was its dependability. I don't mind the cost of the ammo as much because I won't be shooting it nearly as much as the rifle.

It looks like my best options are the Nagant, H & R, Taurus, and Arminius. It is tough though, I think I am still leaning towards the Nagant but they are harder to find now and prices have almost doubled.

Thanks for the tips

if you handload at all, you can pick up a top break S&W in 32 S&W for around $150.00 ball park... I 've been loading 32 S&W with lead round balls & light loads of Trailboss powder... heck, if you only fill the case 1/2 full of Trailboss the brass doesn't even need resized, & with round balls, the cartridges can be hand loaded with simple tools... I have 2" snubbies that are throwing 2" 5 shot groups at 25 feet with these loads...

over the last year, I started collecting 38 & smaller bore black powder cartridge era guns, because they are really fun to shoot with the Trailboss loads, & are pretty cheap to buy, & even cheaper to shoot... the S&W's, & Hopkins & Allen Safety Police models have generally been the most shootable of these guns, but the H&R's, Ivers, Forehands, etc. can all be good & shootable guns, if you buy one in good shape to start with... things to look out for... spanish & other imported copies, often were not safe to shoot when new... lead bullet factory loads "may" be OK, but alot of these guns have tight bores or cylinders, & may not be safe for even low pressure factory loads ( I always start with light loads & round balls 1st, & work my way up to bullets only in guns that look like they'll do OK with them )

you can often find period "solid frame" guns for less than the top breaks, & condition for condition, they can often be more shootable than the top breaks

if you have no interest in handloading, you can pick up some interesting 22's from H&R & Iver Johnson that were made in the 50's, & are safe with modern ammo, but in guns that offer the "feel" of an older gun ( H&R made top break guns in 22 lr well into the 1960's or early 70's )

Wait a second, guys. He said C&R, not antique. Any gun made before 1960 is a C&R, and there are a lot of very nice guns made before that and they aren't breaktops or antiques.

I own a Chiefs Special, a K-22, a K-38, a Highway Patrolman, a Colt OMM, several Colt .45 autos, several other Colt and S&W revolvers, all made before 1960.

Jim

Wait a second, guys. He said C&R, not antique. Any gun made before 1960 is a C&R, and there are a lot of very nice guns made before that and they aren't breaktops or antiques.
+1. I was going to suggest a S&W .38 Military & Police (aka pre-Model 10), S&W .32 Hand Ejector (aka pre-Model 30), S&W Regulation Police (either .32 Long or .38S&W), Colt Official Police, or Colt Police Positive. All are readily available in decent condition for $200-$350, and all fire readily available ammunition*, unlike the Nagant. Although people often fire .32 S&W Long, .32ACP, and .32 H&R Mag in Nagants, there are well-documented problems doing so, and there's some debate whether the two latter cartridges are safe.

Top-breaks are nifty, no doubt, but they categorically aren't as durable as swing-out cylinder revolvers, and most suffer from problems with parts availability.

*Footnote: if you go shopping for Colts, .38 Colt New Police = .38 S&W, and .32 Colt Super Police = .32 S&W Long. The cartridges are the same; Colt simply renamed them to avoid putting their archrival's name on their guns.

Find a S&W 1917, in either the US or Brazilian variation. Excellent shooters and .45 ACP is plentiful and easy to reload.

Back