Have you seen a sliding trigger like this before?

I think John M. Browning came up with a pistol with a trigger that slides straight back rather than pivoting back in ohhhh...1911 or so. I forget what it was called.

I did not realize the 1911 had a trigger like that. I fired one 30 years ago and it just didn't do it for me so I've never messed with it again.
Now it makes me think I need to check out my Astra 600. I think it has a trigger like this. Maybe that's why the wife likes it so much.

The 1911 has a sliding trigger, but it doesn't fold up like the one in this video.

Sliding triggers are considered to be more accurate than pivoting triggers, because the finger is pulling straight back rather than swinging through an arc.

More interesting than the sliding trigger is the fact that it folds into the frame. Additionally you can rack the slide one handed by just using your index finger and the cutout in the slide. I'm not sure how useful the features are but it does show some of the different innovations that were tried throughout time.

Actually, I believe that the Colt M1900 is the first of JMB's designs to use the sliding trigger. There are many pistols that use a straight pull design for their triggers.

Of course there is the 1911 which I imagine is the one we all tend to think of first.
IMG_5367-L.jpg

But also there is the Radom VIS:
N%20block-1-L.jpg

The TT33 and it's various clones:
IMG_9082_Fotor-L.jpg

I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Actually, I believe that the Colt M1900 is the first of JMB's designs to use the sliding trigger.

The trigger in the M1900 pivoted. Likewise for the 1902, 1905, and 1907. Open tipoc's link for a picture and you'll notice the pin just above the trigger guard on that 1900.

All of Browning's pistols with long, sliding triggers had grip safeties. Couldn't get the trigger in and out of the thing without an opening in the back of the frame otherwise.

1911 Tuner is correct. If we go to the link below we can see diagrams of the early Colt pistols. The trigger of which became the trigger for the 1911. It can be seen as one continuous design that "evolved" into the 191.

Note that they have both a pin that holds the trigger in place and a stirrup. The Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless, in 32 acp, had no pin but did have the grip safety.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dia...NHzQIHdzeCz8Q9QF6BAgJEAY#imgrc=PxC2jgYVTLPCOM

tipoc

Also according to the schematics I posted.

Yes. I wasn't clear enough when I said it had no pin (and thus no pivot) but a stirrup, it slid straight back. 1911 Tuner had made the point earlier that a trigger with a pin pivots and does not slide straight back. So, having no pin means, in this case, that it must slide straight back.

Also look at the schematic for the Baby Browning in 25 acp.

I was wrong in post #9. The sliding trigger was introduce a few years later.

tipoc

Back