Have you guys ever used loctite

GaryED50

I had to replace the lanyard ring on my S&W victory model along with the pin that holds the swivel in. Just to be sure I used Loctite red on the pin

Gary

Well, that pin is in there to stay unless you use heat to try to remove it. But if the pin was the proper drive fit, you didn't need the Loctite. Besides, the grips would keep the pin in place even if it were a little loose.

Jim

Red (High strength) Loctite seems a little excessive. Blue (Medium strength), would likely have worked. Green (low strength), keeps screws from unscrewing due to vibration. There are several grades of Loctite. If you decide to use them, choose the one appropriate for the application. Note: When I worked in industry, we used Black Max Loctite for super high yield strength.

I didn't see green loctite but Blue was right next to it. Oh well. The pin I had to use was the exact size of the hole Guess it would have been ok to just hold it by the grips..

Gary

You can remove it by touching the pin with the tip of a soldering iron. The heat will soften the Loctite and allow you to remove it. Of course you will need to be very careful to make sure there is nothing near the pin that could sustain heat damage.

I changed the front sight on my Walther PPS and used some Loc-Tite to keep it there. I had to use the Loc-Tite after it vibrated loose.

Next time just use blue. I keep a tube of blue in the shop box as it sure comes in handy. If I ever get the parts to finish this black powder .32 I sure am goin to use blue to hold the piano wire pins in place.

Loctite ? Blue is the most useful.
However there are TWO loctite lists DIY and Commercial !! The DIY can be found at places like Home Depot. Others like the adhesive recommended for Kydex is one the commercial list and found on places like Mcmaster-Carr.

I've found out the hard way that Loctite will soften and run into strange places it's not meant to if gun solvent cleaner hits it.
Some caution is required.

I installed some Meprolite sights on a semiauto several months ago. In the instruction sheet they recommend using loctite between the sight base and the slide after zeroing the sights.

Don't forget the old standby for low-strength stabilization of medium-stress screw fastening.

Red Nailpolish on one corner :D
(great witness mark of any changes)

I use blue Loctite all the time on scope mount ring screws and mount screws. The will come out just fine, when you want them too, but not when you dont! I am a locomotive mechanic by trade and we use a lot of it due to the vibrations of the large engines, compressors, generators and the beating of the rails themselves. Unless the screws are cross-threaded or rusted(loctite helps keep screw threads from rusting as it seals them) the screws will come out.

I had a new Savage rifle I was setting up for a neighbor. The action screws would start loosening after about 15-20 rounds, throwing the accuracy off. I spoke with a Savage technician and his recommendation was to use blue Locktite to keep the screws secure. It worked.

Gene Pool

Those of us who own and ride single cylinder Dual Sport motorcycles swear by Blue Loctite! Great stuff!
Not using it means losing a bunch of screws and bolts as we ride.

I'm all over the blue. Use it on all scope mounts and screws. If I need something to stay forever red wins but I always label it and put it far away from my projects not to mistake it for blue.

Should have used blue. Guntight is pretty much same as the blue. I use the blue quite a bit on screws that tend to get loose. As was said, I think that screw with the red is in there for good unless you can heat it up.

I would also lean toward blue for most gun applications.I suggest looking for the stick type.Sort of a waxy gel to apply.
I recall a customer coming into a LGS with a 10-22 that had issues.Firing pin was stuck or the bolt was stuck or something.The customer had squirted a little Loctite in the drilled/tapped holes in the top of the receiver.They are through holes.Those little tubes of Loctite have a way of belching out a little more than you need.The gel sticks,IMO,are nice.

The frame screws on my Super Blackhawk tended to loosen.Good place for blue.

When I do my own shade tree mechanic work,pretty much no threads go together dry.I put anti-seize or Loctite on about everything,depending on application.
But,yeah,moving on up to the stronger or higher temp loctites can be regrettable come time for disassembly.Don't forget battering a pin head driving it makes the diameter grow.Buggered screw slots or broken screw heads are no fun.And once it gets screwed up,well,you may learn why you friendly local gunsmith is crotchety when you bring it to him.

Back