Have you ever sold ammunition over the internet?

FoghornLeghorn

I did, years ago. I sold a Ruger mini 30 with ammo on TFL.

I had to ship the ammo separately and had to take it to a UPS main center.

I'm assuming that is still the case, viz. it's not something the USPS will handle?

Also, does Paypal allow for ammunition transactions? How about brass? Does Paypal allow for brass?

Last I checked into shipping ammo (2016) I couldn't use USPS. There was a $10K fine per cartridge per day the ammo was in the USPS system.

Good to know.

I wonder if Paypal allows transactions for ammo? Brass?

Although, with the way they allow buyers to get their money back while keeping the merch sounds risky.

You really want to check out the paypal rules from their website before selling anything using paypal for payment. Really. Very firearm unfriendly.

I'm not seeing as many horror stories about multiple charges from the early days but it may still happen. And nothing like finding your bank account "locked" because of suspected fraud.

You want to use a shipping source with positive documentation of delivery, and if there is enough $$ on the line a signed receipt might be a good idea. That cuts way back on the "I didn't get it and want my money back". Not sure of how to document the goods as described though to prevent "it wasn't what I wanted" though pictures may help.

Federal law prohibits shipping loaded ammunition by mail. It can be shipped by UPS or FedEx, subject to their rules. Their rules are that you have to ship directly from a company office. UPS stores are independent franchisees -- they are not allowed to accept shipments of ammunition.

I just sold some 223 on Gunbroker. Shipped UPS. You have to take it to their main office. The small sub sites will not accept it. The folks at the main office were very helpful and just great.

Got some Barnal 223 if anyone is interested.

Last month i gave my son a very clean Colt AR A1 as new . In the deal he got 7,000 rounds of ammo . I also gave him a nice M1 Grand and again 8 ammo can,s of ball ammo . It was time and he it a gun guy .

I looked at selling around 450 rounds of 380 I have on GB and the shipping was what has me stymied. I did some reading on THR and found a link for printing the new ORM-D symbol. Its best if you have an UPS account. I have one but have never used it. It was simple to sign up for.

Here is a printable symbol.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cent.../hazardous-materials/shipping-ammunition.page

Scroll down till you see the triangle. Right click on it and save to your downloads folder. Then go to that folder and click on it and print off all that you need.

One poster said he just draws the symbol with a magic marker and it works every time. Hope this helps.

Paypal, like E-Bay(the former owner of PayPal), funds the people who want to take your firearms away from you. Using either helps them do that.
"...and will freeze your account..." They've been known to confiscate, as in steal, funds in their user accounts too. Always surprises me when I see assorted online firearms dealer's sites who use Pay Pal.
"...subject to their rules..." Subject to Federal Hazmat rules(fees) too.

I have sold and shipped ammo, brass, and ammo boxes in the past.

More recently...
I attempted to ship a box of ammunition to someone that was unable to obtain any for a new firearm that they purchased in January, but didn't receive until June.
Shipping was $33.

We do not have a UPS customer service center any more, which means package pickup. (And Fedex won't do residential pick up here - and you can't drop ORM-D in a drop box - which means no dice for Fedex.)

Package pickup fee was $18. :rolleyes:

I contacted the intended recipient and asked if they really wanted to pay $51 shipping.

The answer was a definitive, "No."

So, yes, I have sold ammo over the internet before. But, no, not recently. :rolleyes:

Funny we should mention all this I shipped ammo for the first time recently. UPS is very easy and user friendly if you live near a customer center. There is no surcharge for shipping ammo with them either (fedex looked like they had a surcharge when I looked them up, but their information was less clear to understand so I’m not sure).

I did some reading on THR and found a link for printing the new ORM-D symbol.

While certainly less professional looking, UPS let me just draw the orm-d symbol on the box with a sharpie.

Back