Have trigger work done or...

D FAR

Picked up a used 686. Wife finds trigger a little hard to pull. I don't know how many rounds have been put through it, but the gun is super clean, so I guess not many. Should I have trigger work done to lighten the pull or let her build up the muscle by dry firing etc.? I don't want accidents from the trigger being light or from single action shooting. This gun is almost a hair trigger with single action.

Not a bad idea to do both. A good gunsmith will not put on too light a pull (which could result in misfires) and practice on her part will help a lot to both build up the muscles and provide confidence.

Jim

Trigger job?

Most S&W triggers are quite nice out of the box, older ones are considered by many to be the best out there. Your 686 (purchased used) may have been tampered with internally. My recommendation is to have a competent smith check the springs first.

I had purchased a used 686 last year, excellent trigger, but way too heavy. Seems the previous owner had replaced all the factory springs with aftermarket ones. Of the heavier type! A quick smith check and a Brownells spring kit made it "right" again.

Failing that, a trigger job may not be uncalled for. But dry-firing is always a good idea.

-LeadPumper

You might want to order the Wolff reduced power hammer leaf spring and install it yourself (takes a few minutes). That will reduce the pull weight by about 30 - 40% and makes it feel smoother too. I put these in all my SW wheelguns and they are great. Never had a misfire even shooting the crummiest reloads.

I agree about the hair trigger SA on a 686: my wife has launched a few premature babies that way. I shoot it SA at 25 yard bulls eye competition, but I just rest my finger against the front of the trigger guard to keep from being embarrassed.:D

Back