• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Have more specific pages feed into a general catch-all page

Dr_2_B

This is a suggestion:

Has TFL considered having the specific pages like Semi-auto pistols, revolvers, general pistols all feed into and be accessible from some sort of catch-all page?

Having the specific pages is great, but for general browsing, the catch-all page might be useful to some. The specific pages would still exist unchanged but could also be accessed & seen together on one page. I.e. Handguns: All of the Above

"New Posts" tab

Well not exactly, though the "New Posts" tab is a great tool & I should use it more. My idea may not be possible. And if it is possible, it might not be desirable. But it would like like the following.

Handguns All
  • General Handgun Forum
  • Revolver Forum
  • Semi-automatic Forum

In my scenario, one could click any of the three or one could click Handguns All and get a compilation of all of the three.

Then there would also be one for long guns. In my scenario it would look something like:

Long guns All
  • Rifle
  • Rifle General​
  • Rifle Semi-auto​
  • Rifle Bolt, etc​
  • Shotguns

One could click any of the three or one could click Rifle and get a compilation of all of the three.
Or click Long guns All and get all of the below including shotguns.

Does this make any sense at all?

Last edited:
OK, I see what you're saying. Unless a more experienced Staff member knows something I don't, that's not an option given for the vBulletin software we use.

Sorry. Was a great suggestion otherwise...

You can click on a heading that includes a number of subforums and search that group of subforums with one command.

Does that help?

For example, clicking on Hogan's Alley will bring up this page:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

It's a listing of only the subforums that make up Hogan's Alley.

Now clicking on the "Search this Forum" tab on the upper right hand side of the listing allows you to search only the subforums displayed in the listing.

You can click on "Search this Forum" and select Advanced Search.

Then you can select...

Find Posts from
"Your Last Visit"
"and Newer"​

..and search using 'the' as a search term.

That will bring up all the new posts from all of the Hogans Alley subforums since your last visit.

You can click on a heading that includes a number of subforums and search that group of subforums with one command.

That'll be a good workaround. Thanks.

Maybe you guys can keep my thought in mind as software upgrades come and go.

Last edited:
Back