Have mold... just waitin' on weather.

Beagle333

I know some of you guys have a nice garage or basement to cast in. Throw up some pics! I need a lead fix. There is no outdoor casting here in the rainforest this week.

But I just picked up a new mold (to me).... the Lyman 452389. It looks like a beautiful little button nose paperbuster. I can't post any pics of the final product yet, since it won't stop raining. We got 5.73 inches last night (most roads in the county are closed from flooding) and it's supposed to rain another 3-5 inches in the next couple of days. So I am really starting to think that I need a casting shed! Casting out in the yard has it's limitations!
bobcat001_zpsb60a0007.jpg

Are any of you folks shooting this nifty-looking bullet?

Hey, something is terribly wrong with that mold or possibly your picture takin, either way I'm only seeing one cavity there, shouldn't there be a few more.....

All of mine start with at least three......

Oh and you can please send that rain over to E. Texas, well for that matter just about anywhere in Texas would be great, but our farm is just a little SW of Tyler, and about centered between Buffalo and Rusk. If you can concentrate it there for a few days I know I would appreciate it, not to mention plenty of others.

Yep, first he picks up the molds, then some brass, and will probably even load up a few rounds, then he'll walk around the house muttering something like, "now where did I hide that revolver" all the while shaking a few rounds in his hand. ;)

This is all of course a huge rouse, so that he can painstakingly bide his time, all the wile sneaking a little stash of cash here and there for the final day when he actually FINDS that hidden revolver. :eek:

Then it will start all over with a few rifle rounds jingling in his loose grip as he looks behind doors and under mattresses, again in search of that well hidden rifle.

Trust me, I know the drill well, heck I might have even invented it, unknowingly of course.:D

Now you're just talkin' all crazy. There's no way.....

Hey, looky what followed me home from Bass Pro! A set of dies. And it's still in the plastic. Gee, I should get some brass and see if this set really works?
icon_twisted.gif

dies_zps60ab115d.jpg

I just spent 15 minutes going through all of the photos taken on all three of my digital cameras over the 2 years, and couldn't find a single usable photo of my casting bench - not even during the nightmare that was the engine rebuild for my motorhome ('casting bench' became "cylinder head rebuilding - and delicate parts storage - bench").

Sorry. I tried.

All I can tell you is that it was a bench in my garage, with 2 box fans used to force air out the overhead door. :rolleyes:

Here's a picture of one of my brothers wrenching on the undiagnosed motorhome engine, instead.
(The bench is behind the plywood.;))

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3900_600.jpg
    IMG_3900_600.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Hey, looky what followed me home from Bass Pro! A set of dies. And it's still in the plastic. Gee, I should get some brass and see if this set really works?
dies_zps60ab115d.jpg

Aawww come on now, we all know the only reason you picked those up was cause you thought it had free bullets inside........:eek:

Oh and I did throw down on those Colt cases you mentioned. Hopefully I will be somewhere on the list above the cut off.

I'm getting ready to load up some the first poured from that Accurate mold here in a few. It took me two dozen tries to remember how my Uniflow was set up on my 4x4 press last night or I wold have already had them done. Amazing how when you have something set up for a decade or more, then you take one simple thing off to use on something else, and you can't remember how the simplest little thing goes back together. Geesh, I was about to get an attitude bit time. When I DID figure it out, I decided it will stay put from now on out.

FrankenMauser,

I remember you disgusting, I mean discussing that a while back. I totally understand how that happens myself. I hope things have gotten back to normal for ya.

Aawww come on now, we all know the only reason you picked those up was cause you thought it had free bullets inside........
Okay, ya got me.
I still haven't figure out how to get the free bullets. :mad:

Oh and I did throw down on those Colt cases you mentioned. Hopefully I will be somewhere on the list above the cut off.
YES!!!! I hope they are making brass 24/7 over there! :)
They won't let me backorder any 45-70 yet tho.

and the Saturday morning update..... it looks like the Gulf of Mexico has turned green, yellow and orange and is headed North. No casting here! We got 5.73" of rain Thursday, we still have 5 roads around me that are closed, and this storm is supposed to bring another 5+ inches to the area.
I guess it's a good weekend to lube! ;)

Last edited:
FrankenMauser,

I remember you disgusting, I mean discussing that a while back. I totally understand how that happens myself. I hope things have gotten back to normal for ya.
Things did return to normal for a while. But, that garage no longer belongs to me. We sold the house.

I'm still searching for the next one. (Stuck in a small townhouse for the time being, and casting vicariously through the internet. ;))

Here's a picture of one of my brothers wrenching on the undiagnosed motorhome engine, instead.
(The bench is behind the plywood.)

That picture makes my butt look big........

I liked Frankenmauser's (semi)portable setup. The bench is small enough for one person to easily move it around, but had enough space for the lead pot, two guys to work molds, room to lay out ingots for the pot, ladles, molds, and towels or receptacles for bullets to cool.

In good weather, it was pretty quick and easy to move it out a few feet into the driveway (and get confused looks from the neighbors), in bad weather, the fans did a decent job of ventilating while casting in the garage.

Back