Have I screwed up the crown of my barrel somehow / Opinions?

cslinger

Let me preface that I don't normally pay attention to individual bullet impacts as a rule. I generally run a box into a few large groups culminating into what amounts to one large ragged hole.

Recently I have started shooting a little drill where I put one shot into a single bull moving to another for each subsequent shot to get better at picking up my sights faster and well its kinda fun, but I digress.

At any rate I was running my XD45 compact (original from back in the day) service length barrel with truncated grip. and I noticed the individual bullet holes were much more ragged then I expected them to be. Could this be a symptom of some bullet instability or the beginning of a key hole type effect, or am I just over reacting since I never really payed attention before.

The gun is boringly reliable and as accurate as I personally can ask for at 7-10 yards. Basically its not wildly throwing rounds or anything.

At any rate take a look at the following pictures and let me know what you think they show the sort of tearing of the target instead of a clean bullet hole so to speak. 230 grain FMJ factory. Blazer Brass IIRC.

So am I over reacting or could I have somehow jacked up the crown or something over the years.

As always, thanks.
Chris

Entry shots all same target Call it 7ish yards
IMG_0668_zpsxjaqvsdm.jpg

IMG_0671_zpsa0hgy9tm.jpg

IMG_0669_zpseulgnmjk.jpg

Exit holes, same target

IMG_0677_zpsb7sb6tea.jpg

IMG_0675_zpskgcqocdy.jpg

IMG_0674_zps1x9w1zwo.jpg

Are your targets just paper flapping in the breeze or are they firmly attached to a heavy backing?
If they're not on a good backing, the raggedy hole could just be the paper tearing as the bullet goes through.

There's no need to ask if your crown is damaged since all you'd have to do is look at it to see. Any damage severe enough to cause problems would be easily visible

There's nothing wrong with the gun

Back