have drilling need help

cmlocal90

Inactive
I have a saure & sohn drilling that is a 16x 16 with a rifle caliber of 44.15 . was this a common model or is this a rare gun worth finding more about?

Drillings tend to draw a lot of money from collectors. Sauers tend to draw a lot of money anyway. So your drilling may be worth a bit of cash. There are drillings collectors that advertise in Shotgun News and Field & Stream.

Your drilling rifle barrel is likely chambered for 11mm Mauser. A chamber cast will tell the story. Also have the shotgun chambers cast or measured as they are likely 2-9/16" rather than 2-3/4".

If it's really a 11 mm Mauser it's most likely a blackpowder gun, and while people are asking a lot of money for them on gunbroker I haven't seen many move. You need to find a true Sauer collector to make a lot of money from it (and it has to be in the condition for it).

hi mapsjanhere,

sorry, but your question is a little bit like "I have a Ford with black interior tim - value?". It simply can't be answered.

The caliber probably is 11.15 x 65 R as this was a very popular caliber for drillings at the the end of 19th/beginning of 20th century.

Value will depend on model and condition. If it is a model with outer hammers, value will be low. Only if it's a sidelock model with cocking/decocking lever for the rifle barrel, the value will reach a higher level.

Photos would help to tell more.

Regards

Martin

Back