Have another brainstorm and need some ballistic data

Doc Hoy

For those of you who shoot Colt or Colt clone revolvers, tell me:

A. What revolver (ex. 1851, 1860, Dragoon, etc.)
B. What is the range to the target (The range you normally use)
C. How much higher is POI than POA. (Your average difference)

Uberti (Cimmaron) 7 1/2" 1858 in .44.
15 yds.
I filed the front sight "a little" with a 28 Gr charge of FFg.
Probably not very helpful.:D
I was told to work up a load I liked then mess with the sights, sorry.
DSCF7739_zpsyqsgkseu.jpg

Both my Pietta '51 Navy and Uberti London Navy (Navy caliber) at 15 yards are on held at 6:00.
Shooting 18 grs. FFFg, home made lubed wad with no filler, and .380 rb.

They have the arbor length fit, barrel/cylinder gap set at about .003, trigger lightened, and the Pietta has the hammer sight notch "adjusted".

Last edited:
Doc?

Is this for all regardless of mods, or are you wanting just unmodified as originally received? Depends on where you are going with the data.

Foolzrushn

It is about sight geometry.

Interested mainly in the bulk of pistols out there which would be out of the box replicas.

Walkers, Dragoons, 1851, The clones of the Confederate knock off with a Dragoon barrel (G&G, L&R....) 1860.

Dragoon

Doc,
I thought I had more data recorded, but alas, I am crap at that. Here is what I have:

Uberti 3rd model Dragoon, with 200gr Lyman .452 cap and ball conicals and 30gr of 3F at 15 yards. Groups average 5.75" high. I seem to remember that round balls are about the same.
All my others, 1851, 1860, are about the same. I don't have good enough data on my 1849 Pocket revolver, or my 1862 Pocket Police. Certainly, the 1862 pocket police shoots a bit high at 15 yards.
I have an original 1851 London Navy that I would love to shoot, but just haven't got to it yet. It would be interesting to see how it shoots compared to the repros. I suspect it will be very similar in POI to POA.

Cheers,
Chowmi

I have a Colt 1860 and a Colt Walker. Both shot high. I have replaced the front sights so that they now shoot to point of aim with a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yards.

Steve

Back