Has anyone used one of those chamber inserts that convert a .308 to 7.62x39?

I have read but not sure its true that the 308 will work in a military weapon that shoots the 7.62 but 7.62 will not work in a rifle that shoots the 308 like I said not sure if this is true

The bullet diameter for the 7.62x39 round is actually .310. The bullet diameter of the 308win (7.62 NATO) is actually .308. So if I understnd you correctly you would be putting a larger diameter (.310) bullet through the .308 barrel. Doesn't sound very safe to me even if there is some sort of adapter to do it. I'm sure there are some here that say it can be done though, but I have no experience with that.

the diameter isn't an issue you just don't want to go more than three thousandths over the ruger mini thirty in 7.62x39 actually has a .308 bore.

the ruger mini thirty in 7.62x39 actually has a .308 bore.

Well they used to, but I think Ruger increased the bore size in the 90's to accomodate the .310 - .311 Russian ammo (read that somewhere, could be wrong). I agree though that 2/1000ths difference shouldn't be much of a problem, but if your bore is actually .308 you will get some extra copper fouling cleanup to do, and your barrel will wear quicker. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Back