Has anyone tried the new Weatherbys in standard calibers?

Stretch

I saw at the store the other day that Weatherby offers their Accumark rifles in several standard calibers, including .270 and 30-06.

I understand that they are based on the same basic design of the Mark V action; has anyone tried these, and how do they compare to the standards(Rem 700 and Win M70 series)?

OK, I have some general questions concerning Weatherbys: How good are the rifles as a whole? The actions? Are they worth it, or should I stick to, say, Winchesters and a trip to the gunsmith for a trigger job?

Thanks,
E

I'm a little bit off the question here, since my Weatherby is a Mark V of 1970 vintage. But, it is a ..30-'06. It was available back then in what they called the "#2 Profile" barrel of 26"; it's a medium-weight barrel whereas the regular Wby tubes were rather skinny.

When I first got the rifle, it would NOT group three shots inside one MOA. After I re-bedded the fore arm, it would shoot 1/2" to 3/4" five- and even ten-shot groups.

I never could get the trigger to adjust, so I just said to hell with it and got a Canjar. Back then, the standard Canjar was only about $25 or so...

Some 4,000 rounds later, it's still shooting 1/2" groups.

It's much heavier, now, than it was back then. :)

Given what rifles cost in today's world, I would only buy a standard-caliber Wby in their Ultralight version, for a walking-hunting gun. Bare, it's 6-3/4 pounds. However, with tax it's around $1,250 to $1,300--which is why I don't own one.

I've handled and fondled several of today's newer versions of rifles. I like the feel of the lightweight Model 70, above all.

IMHO, any rifle can be made to shoot excellent groups, absent bench-rest competition requirements. I'm restricting my judgement to practical hunting at typical ranges inside 300 yards. Some re-bedding, possibly a replacement trigger, and a quality scope will make a rifle that, in the field, typically can "outshoot its owner".

FWIW, Art

Back