Has anyone tried Norma Ecostrike 8mm Mauser ammo?

FairWarning

I just ordered some in 8mm Mauser. Hard to find much variety among store bought ammo in this caliber, but I love shooting my old K98 and Remington 700 Classic.

Specs are as follows:

160 gr all copper
2789 fps
2764 ft-lbs

I have some old Norma Vulcans that are 165 gr and 2855 fps, but they are no longer made, and I don't know of any other ammo in this weight range for the caliber. I also have Nosler 180-200 gr, and 196 gr from S&B and Hornady, but these are heavier than necessary for SE whitetail. The 160s have a bit less drop as expected, which is always handy.

You might actually have even less drop than you expect: generally speaking, copper bullets are longer by weight than lead ammo, so you should get an improvement of BC (for 160-ish grain) bullets by using these.

I don't know all the details of these bullets, but I switched to copper a few years ago and I would expect you'd see less blood shot meet than you're fearing to see.

Can't tell without trying.... :)

Good luck hunting out there!

Received my ammo today. The performance is actually higher than advertised on the site, must be an update to the load?

The ballistics printed on the box label are:

2822 fps
2830 ft-lbs
BC: 0.43

Still has 1677 ft-lbs at 300 yds with 5" less drop than a 196 gr at that distance, nice! This is as close as will probably ever be made again to the mighty 165 gr Vulcans of the '70s/'80s (?). This must surely be the best commercial whitetail load (especially for typically smaller southern whitetail) available for the caliber on paper at least.

Can't wait to go hunting with these!

Last edited:
Back