Has anyone sold a gun on gunbroker before? What was your experience?

TruthTellers

I've bought a lot of guns from gunbroker, but I've never sold one on there before. Actually, I've never sold a gun before and with it being a seller's market and me having little interest in keeping guns I want to sell, I figure it is time to sell them.

Also, currently only looking at selling handguns on gunbroker, I figure they're easier to ship.

I've sold a number of guns on GB. Never had a problem, not that problems don't occur. The thing about handguns is that you cannot ship them USPS unless you are a FFL. At least where I live, USPS is the way to go, so I just pay my FFL his transfer fee and send them in a flat rate box. Your experience may differ, but I find FedEx and UPS a real pain when it comes to shipping firearms. Also, some FFLs will not accept shipments from a "civilian". Never had that happen, but make sure to include a note in your posting. Of course, not all states are free, so think about where you are willing to ship and note that as well. Pictures sell.

There are a couple of sites to make payment more secure, but there is a fee of course. Most private sellers will require cashier checks or money orders, which may be a turn off for some. Without a good selling history, I may be hard to get bids. I would recommend one of the sites so buyers feel more confident they won’t get scammed:

https://www.guntab.com/
https://www.armspay.com/
Or some other escrow services

TT,
My experiences selling handguns on GB has been okay, not great.

Just my suggestions;
If you do not have an A+ selling record, I would mention in my ad that
the buyer could 'send a message' with their phone number or you could send yours to answer any questions they might have.
That statement alone will help alleviate concerns about being a new seller.

As mentioned, are you shipping through a dealer or not?
Good clear pictures. Have a pal give the photos a critical review (as if he were a buyer).
Mention (and show) any flaws that are inconsistent with the overall condition.
I have passed on bidding where the seller mentioned, but did not show a flaw.

Lastly, selling on GB is a great lesson in learning.
Not to put your expectations on others, that is.
Most of my sales were routine, but just be mentally prepared for a slow payer/no communication sort of buyer.

JT

I have sold one rifle. The sale went well. Honestly, I would be most afraid of not disclosing something and then not being able to make it right fast enough to save your trader history.

I had a deal.... actually 2 deals go bad simultaneously on eBay. eBay and PayPal jerked me around blocking me from refunding the buyers. One item the seller got the money and the item. I’m convinced that the eBay label was jacked up causing delay. The other took me like 3 weeks to refund his money. I spent like 1 hours on the phone with eBay and PayPal trying to get their system to work. In the end, they hold your money like 8 days just because they want to when you are not earning them fee income.

Gunbroker is much more straight forward. I always ship insured by FFL. Gets a third party looking at the deal.

I have sold one rifle. The sale went well. Honestly, I would be most afraid of not disclosing something and then not being able to make it right fast enough to save your trader history.

I had a deal.... actually 2 deals go bad simultaneously on eBay. eBay and PayPal jerked me around blocking me from refunding the buyers. One item the seller got the money and the item. I’m convinced that the eBay label was jacked up causing delay. The other took me like 3 weeks to refund his money. I spent like 1 hours on the phone with eBay and PayPal trying to get their system to work. In the end, they hold your money like 8 days just because they want to when you are not earning them fee income.

Gunbroker is much more straight forward. I always ship insured by FFL. Gets a third party looking at the deal.
Since I plan to only sell handguns on GB I'm practically forced to ship thru an FFL.

What do you mean by "Gets a third party looking at the deal"? Is there a benefit to having an FFL do the shipping?

Yea, my FFL does a lot of gunbroker deals. I think he might smell a bad deal or something bogus just talking through it....and he knows the laws well.

Back