Has anyone lightened trigger pull of a .22 revolver?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I am curious is anyone has actually done that to a SW317. I like that gun but the DA trigger seems to have been made artificially heavy for "liability reasons". Can a lighter spring be used without getting frequent misfires?

I have done it on an M17 with a leaf spring. You can turn the strain screw out and see for yourself how it works. Try different ammo and when satisfied, shorten the screw accordingly.

Have had action/trigger jobs performed on both my .22 revolvers. One a Dan Wesson Model .22 and the other a S&W Model 617. Both have been 100% reliable with anything I've fed them, mostly bulk ammo from K-Mart or WalMart.
Take Care

Easy way to lighten the double action pull on a J frame is to go to a lighter trigger return spring. Polishing all internal rubbing surfaces will make it feel a lot better and lighten the pull a tad but the major improvement will come from lightening the return spring. Either cut off a couple turns from the stock one (Kuenhousen) or replace it with lighter aftermarket spring.

With lighter trigger return spring, it will become paramount that you learn to manually release the trigger after each shot......a light spring will reset the trigger but may not be able to push your finger back while it is doing it.

No strain screw on yours. Aftermarket hammer springs are available but use caution, rim fire guns often start to get light strikes with light hammer springs.

DO NOT mess with any of the sear engagement surfaces unless you are a very qualified S&W smith.

Sam

I installed a Wolf 11 pound rebound spring, and a Wolf reduced power hammer (main) spring in my old S&W model 18 revolver. The trigger pull is now very light, and smooth. No problems with reliability. Easy to do yourself, and parts are only about $18.00. Wilson Combat also has sells a good spring kit for S&W revolvers, which I have used.
MR.G

Last edited:
The real problem in getting a light trigger with the .22 Revolver is the rimfire case----it has to hit hard enough to detonate the primer.It's OK to go light when you are setting off a Federal 100 small primer but it won't do the .22.All you can do is take the spring tension off until it just has enough grunt to detonate,then you can work on slicking up the action.

Yes!

I have done both of my J frames (63 and 651) with good success.

I used the Trapper spring kits (been using them a long, long, time and never been disappointed) and judicious polishing of the rebound slide, hammer, trigger, and mating surfaces.

No light strikes, and no problems.

FWIW

9x19,
I used the Trapper kit once for a J frame, and it worked fine,with the light rebound and the reduced tension main spring. There were no pound ratings on the springs though, just "light"and "medium". Do you know how many pound the Trapper rebound springs are, for the S&W ? I like light springs in my guns, and so far found the Wolf 11lb. to be the lightest available.
MR.G

Back