Has anyone chronographed .22LR out of a 3.5" barrel.

Leviatano

Made a 3.5" out of a skinny barrel MKII Ruger as a dedicated host 4-5 years ago.

And earlier this year ended up with a MKII 22/45 someone previously had cut to the same length from probably 6", and threaded. Previous history unknown.

If you've chrono'd rounds using this length or close, I'd appreciate seeing the numbers.

Made a 3.5" out of a skinny barrel MKII Ruger as a dedicated host 4-5 years ago.

And earlier this year ended up with a MKII 22/45 someone previously had cut to the same length from probably 6", and threaded. Previous history unknown.

If you've chrono'd rounds using this length or close, I'd appreciate seeing the numbers.

A bit late to the thread, but;

S&W 317 (3" bbl)
CCI SV: 873 fps
Aguila SV: 939 fps
Federal Automatch: 1014 fps

Ruger MkII (4" bbl)
CCI SV: 910 fps
Federal Automatch: 1060 fps

Ruger MkII (10" bbl)
CCI SV: 1022 fps
Aguila SV: 1111 fps (only three data points; very poor function)
Federal Automatch: 1174 fps
Federal Champion: 1200 fps

All of the above were identical lots, and reliable averages from a significant number of shots.

Last edited:
S&W M&P C 3.6" barrel
Minimag 40gr RN 947 fps
Aguila HV 40gr RN 957 fps
RP Golden 36gr HP 1010 fps average but very erratic 125 fps ES!

Will be comparing with the new invention, .22 self defense ammo; Federal Punch, CCI Uppercut, WW Silvertip.

No worries at all; just thought I needed to help carry the torch for the OP maybe. :)
Being able to 'upgrade' bulk 22LR to Subsonic is addictive, I do confess. :D

Kinda amazes me that subsonic bulk isn’t available. Less powder, lower cost. Guess it would cut into their profits concerning their lower velocity stuff.

Yes. Isn't it funny that sub-par performance makes a load into "special purpose" ammo they can charge more for? Been going on with CCi Green Tag pistol match and other folks' match products for decades.

Back