Hardshell Pistol Case for Airline Travel?

Justin Moore

Hi all,

I am going to be flying home for Christmas, and was wondering if anyone here could suggest a good hardshell case for transporting my handgun in. Its my understanding that airline regs require a hardshell case of some type. I have a hardshell case that came with the gun, but am not sure if its suitable/acceptable to pack it inside of a softsided suitcase. I was thinking of maybe buying a small hardsided suitcase and then putting the gun (in ITS case) inside of that suitcase.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions please let me know. Also, I want to avoid anything that screams STEAL ME OR "GUN" so I don't have to worry about it getting swiped :eek:

JLM

Justin

Put your gun in the case it came with.
Lock that case, and place it inside
a hard shell suit case. lock that case
too. You will be in compliance with any
airlines' regulations.

Although I travel with mine in a locked
hard shell pistol case inside a soft sided
suit case,I've been told that is not always
acceptable. Better give them no reason to
hassle you.
Also, carry ammo in its original box or one
of those plastic ammo boxes in luggage seperate
from your gun. Of course, make certain to declare
the gun at check-in time.

I have carried my handgun in luggage numerous times and have never had any trouble. Here is my method:

I have a small Doscocil locking case (it's about the size of your old Battlestar Galactica lunchbox :) ). The handgun goes inside this case, is locked, and then the case is carried inside my locked soft-sided suitcase. (I carry it at the very top so I don't have to dig for it when asked by the ticketing agent to confirm that it is not loaded).

I have never had a problem with it being in a soft-sided suitcase, as long as it locks.

Back