Hard to remove base pin . . .

Prof Young

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. The base pin is seriously hard to remove even when the gun is cleaned and oiled. I think it is hanging up on the base pin latch but cannot figure out how to adjust that.

Help!!!

Life is good.
Prof Young

There's really no adjustment.
About all you could do is VERY slightly shorten the end of the half of the screw that retains the base pin so it can be pushed in farther, or VERY slightly "ramp" the rear part of the groove in the base pin so the screw can slide up it easier.
However, then you'd probably get into the base pin moving forward under recoil.

Best option... buy or build a base pin puller tool.
This tool hooks over the pin head and is used as a lever to pull the pin forward until you can grab it and remove it.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...tools/colt-saa-base-pin-puller-prod10997.aspx

Dfariswheel - Thank You!

Dfariswheel - Thank you. Didn't know there was such a thing. Looked at the one at Brownells. For $26 buck I'll take a shot at making my own.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I'd be inclined to make it out of aluminum or brass plate instead of steel.
That would prevent scratching of the finish if you slip.

If that doesn't stand up go to steel plate stock.

The question it how old it this gun is it been shot a lot and is the base pin bent .
Never mess with the base pin keeper they will wear out soon .

Have you thought about polishing the hole in the cylinder ? A lot of new Rugers will have a base pin that needs some love . I put them in the drill and polish them

If the base pin is dragging on the latch, this should leave a noticeable mark.
Most likely, the base pin is bent because it walked out during firing.

Back