Hard to draw!

ZVP

I simply love my Uberti London model .36 cal Navy!
My only complaint is that loooong barrel!
Drawing it from a Hip holster has to be an excercize in ftustration!
To draw, you need to bend your elbow tio it's limit, which is a very slow move to say the least!
A far better holster is a cross-draw.
Less movement and the revolver can easilly be cocked during the draw. even a 5 1/2" barrel is very slow.
I doubt very many "Pistelero's used hip holsters.
They carry nice but that's about it.
How do you carry tour full size Navy Model?
Yes I realize that there weren't that many quick draws back then.
Thanks,
BPDave

holster

I make an adapter that will fit most holsters and standard belts
that will lower the holster between 2 and 3 inches.
Non permanent put it on take it off whenever.
Probably not good for fast draw but fine other wise.
PM me if you want a picture and pricing
I rarely use it myself as I am tall enough I have no trouble and don't
fast draw anyway.
My normal holster is quite short and is a highride custom I made for myself
as a Concealed carry for the 5.5 inch Remington c&B

Last edited:
I carry mine in a RH Slim Jim that I made on a 2 1/4" belt . . . in the same manner as Hawg describes . . . . . the nice thing about it is that it can be slid around to the left easily for a cross draw as well . . .

If you don't have or haven't seen a copy of "Packing Iron" . . . try and hunt one up. You''ll see that there were many varieties of holster designs used from Slim Jim to full flap to half flap, etc. A great book on vintage leather - it holds a permanent place on my leather working bench.

Enjoy that London!

I use a cheapo Civil War 1860 Army holster (fits my Navy just as well) that I cut the flap off of, on a 1 3/4" jeans belt.
Right hip, butt forward, regulation twist-draw. Best way in my opinion to draw a long-barreled revolver.

Just make sure your range officers won't give you any trouble over it. Fortunately mine don't.

Howdy

I discovered (or re-discovered) a long time ago that trying to draw a long barreled revolver from a strongside, straight draw holster is an exercise in getting my elbow tangled into my armpit. I shoot two Colt Single Action Army revolvers in CAS, one has a 7 1/2" barrel, the other has a 4 3/4" barrel. I would show you a photo of my gunbelt but photobucket seems to be acting up these days. My gunbelt is a Duke rig, which among other things means the holsters ride high on the belt.

The short pistol rides on my strongside (right), the 7 1/2" incher rides butt forward on my weak side (left). Reaching across by belly prevents getting the elbow tangled in the armpit with the long barreled Colt.

Never had any trouble drawing a 7.5-8" single action. Although a crossdraw or cavalry twist draw does make things a little easier.

The Cavalry twist draw is poetry in motion when done right. I can't.
I shoot 5.5" barrels on 1860 armys Two straight draw holsters.

Fingers shoots full length pistols out of slim jims riding high on his belt.

Right hip, butt forward, regulation twist-draw. Best way in my opinion to draw a long-barreled revolver.

Correct me if I've the wrong idea what you are gettin' at ..... but what is "best", or made better, or, hell, even remotely "good" about point one's shootin' iron at one's own lower midsection while drawing a gun quickly? On my list of Bad Things, shooting m'self in the nethers is right up t'ward the top ....... Injury on top of Insult.

Correct me if I've the wrong idea what you are gettin' at ..... but what is "best", or made better, or, hell, even remotely "good" about point one's shootin' iron at one's own lower midsection while drawing a gun quickly? On my list of Bad Things, shooting m'self in the nethers is right up t'ward the top ....... Injury on top of Insult.
I do not sweep my body nor anybody else using the twist-draw method. I'll direct you to duelist1954's video demonstrating it.
http://youtu.be/dYrE7e1VmgY?t=35s

That said, there certainly are unsafe ways to do it. This movie clip demonstrates one way NOT to do it, which is probably the way you're imagining.
http://youtu.be/zGCwGrpcH1U?t=53s
It goes by fast, but you can see that the actor briefly sweeps his midsection during the draw.

Not that it matters one way or the other (in my opinion) considering with a SA revolver the gun is mechanically incapable of firing until the hammer is cocked, at which point the gun should be aimed downrange.

Not that it matters one way or the other (in my opinion) considering with a SA revolver the gun is mechanically incapable of firing until the hammer is cocked, at which point the gun should be aimed downrange.

I've seen some people so safety anal they get bent when looking down the muzzle in a picture. :rolleyes:

How the bloody devil does someone manage to sweep their midsection with a cross or twist draw? I can't even make it happen unless I try to do so with some absurdly exaggerated attempt to cover myself.

How the bloody devil does someone manage to sweep their midsection with a cross or twist draw?
With a twist-draw, by swinging the revolver up laterally. It's an easy mistake to make if you're paying more attention to speed than doing it correctly.

In a proper twist-draw the gun should only be rotated along the axis of the bore.

With a twist-draw, by swinging the revolver up laterally. It's an easy mistake to make if you're paying more attention to speed than doing it correctly.

I suppose, but I would think it would be a whole lot easier to make that mistake with a shorter barreled gun, otherwise you'd be whacking your ribs!

If you're sweeping yourself you're doing it wrong.

Back