Hard chroming aluminum frame

Cruzer

I had my Sig P239 slide chromed recently...it looks outstanding. As most Sig owners know, the aluminum rails pick up some pretty heavy gouging over time (mine has some surface gouging on both sides of the frame near the front). I e-mailed Metalife and they said they can hard chrome the frame, but first they will put a thin layer of nickel on it. Any opinions on doing this. I love my P239, and really want to make it indestructable. (All blunt opinions either for or against welcome).

How much is that going to cost? I have an alluminum framed i thought about getting chromed. I didn't think you could cHrome alluminum. I do have a nickel plated gun and it's a very sturdy finish (electroless nickel) and kind of lubricates the gun too. Easy to clean as well. I don't know it this would help with the gouging though. It would make the surface much harder at least.

shiro

Shiro, they quoted me $48 plus $10 shipping ($58 total) (although I think they also forgot to add the $15 for it being an aluminum frame). The slide "gouging" is actually just initial wear. I would expect the hard chromed slide to wear slightly during break-in, but to protect the aluminum frame much better than the anodizing does. I am probably going to send out this week.

thanks Cruzer. Do you have an FFL. the shipping seems cheap to me is it because of an FFL? You do have to ship the frame through an FFL I think? Did you get the slide done there too? How much was that if you don't mind my asking.

I'd like to hard chrome my PCR (compact allum framed CZ-75). I really like shiny guns.

shiro

Shiro,

No FFL is required for you to ship to a service provider who is an FFL holder, or for you to receive it from the service provider. You will need to overnight the pistol (which will cost you about $15-25 via UPS air saver or Fedex air saver). An entire pistol is about $130-160 including one magazine. A slide alone is about $60 also. Here is their website:

http://www.metalifeind.com

They answer their emails very quickly and their service has a very good reputation. Good luck.

THANKS Cruzer! Post some pics if you get your frame done and you have a dig cam or a scanner. I know we'd all like to appreciate it. I'm in AK so shipping is very high. $30 for a Kahr P9 to the factory one way. Owwwwwch.

I really like shiney guns and I like the PCR but it only came in black. I wonder if they charge extra to strip off the old finish. My factory finish is polymer over parkerizing I believe.

I should e-mail them myself I guess. This is more fun though.. LOL ;)

shiro

Yeah, I think you should e-mail them. I think stripping of standard finishes is included (blue/parkerized), but other finishes (like stripping old chrome or nickel) cost extra because of the waste treatment issues. Good luck.

Back