Hard Chrome Finish

Mike Baugh

I have a Springfield 1911 that I want to get refinished , does anybody have a favorite plater for hardchrome ? I have a Trophy Match that was plated by Metaloy and they did a great job but I thought I might try somebody different . Has anybody tried the blackchrome ? The Metaloy ran $120 , how do the others compare in price ? Thanks , Mike...

Checkmate, in Florida, does nice hard chrome plating. They can produce a matte finish, a "brushed" finish (which looks very much like satin stainless steel), or mirror-bright. Their discount to FFL-holders is substantial, so you might enlist a friendly FFL to send it in for you. Checkmate has no website (as far as I know). Give them a call at (352)754-9111.

Rosco

I belong to the 1911-l list, and the guru of all types of plating, who really knows his stuff is Jack Fuselier. Here is his web site addy:

http://www.detnet.com/fuselier/

Hope this helps, Walt

Checkmate is very good.
Chuck Taylor uses Ron Mahovsky at Metal Life.
I do not know his whereabouts.
I have seen Chuck's guns done by him, and they are very good.

Stay away from Armaloy/Jartex in Ft. Worth Texas. They changed management a while back, and we had nothing but BIG problems with them after that.

Black chrome is NOT hard. It is actually a chromium disulfide, which is about as durable as bluing, maybe even a little less.
It looks great for display weapons, but is about worthless otherwise.

I was trying to find Metalife info. also awhile back. Here's an address -
Ron Mahovsky
RD #1 Box 149A
Eureka RD
Grand Valley, PA 16420

phone # 814-436-7747

EricO

Double post deleted. Double expresso needed. :-)

[This message has been edited by EricO (edited 01-19-99).]

Back