Happy Happy Joy Joy !!!!

MTAA

I just read on another forum that Kimber makes all their frames (excluding polymer, alloy, and royal blue) out of stainless. Well, I've been bitching about the front slide serrations on my Custom Classic for some time, and I have always wanted a stainless 1911 (was about to get the gun hardchromed). So I was wondering, would I be making a big mistake by purchasing a stainless slide ? My only concerns are galling, and of course, slide to frame fit. Not to mention, what exactly I would do with the old one. So, what are your thoughts ?

Hey,

If you want the stainless 1911, go for it! I've played around with a few of Kimber's stainless guns, and I thought the slide to frame fit (which is always an important issue with me) was excellent. And heck, I'll even take that Custom Classic off your hands for you.

-Parke1

MTAA, I don't know what Kimber makes their frames out of, but I do know something about steels. Before you spend the money on a new slide, check your frame with a magnet. If the frame is non-magnetic, then it is 300 series stainless, which is what all of the stainless guns I have checked have been, including Kimber. If it is magnetic, it could still be 400 series stainless, or it could be normal steel.
Eric

Eric, most stainless guns are made out of 400 series stainless steel as 300 series is WAY too soft. The 400 is heat treatable, the 300 is not. Even 300 SS will become somewhat magnetic after it has been cold worked. IF you have what you think is a SS frame and it is not magnetic (even slightly) then you probably have a high polished aluminum frame ,which many people mistake for stainless.There are several guns that have aluminum alloy frames with stainless steel slides, the Taurus is an example, as is the Sig Sauer.

Parcke1, I'll consider it, but lets see how things go till after the first here in CA. The Kimber may be the only series 70 I get to own :(.

The Rockwell hardness scale does favor the 400 over the 300
in my world of metallurgy,which is why I believe that Kimbers are junk...

If you want to live in 1911 Hell at least go with a Colt or a Springfield...
JMB is probably turning over in his grave over the Kimbers..
I have known too many people that have had serious problems with Kimbers, hardly a gun I would want to protect my family with, let alone hassle with at the range...

My gunsmith friends' love the Kimbers..all the work they do
fixing them allows them to enjoy driving new trucks!!!!!

Get your 1911's while you can in Kalifornia before the 1st of the year....
It is getting scary here in Kali with Diane Frankenstein in office..
MTAA, sell your problem Kimber after the 1st of the year as a private party transfer to someone who still believes the
"Kimber" gun-rag hype.....
You could probably get a pretty penny for it in Kali....

Back