hang fire's

After 2 or 3 shots the breech plug on my 50.cal inline rifle is crusted over enough that I start getting hang fire's. Is there anything I can do to slow down the build up on the breech plug?

muzzle loaders need to be cleaned after every shot for top performance. get some pre lubed patches & swab the barrel out, then run a clean patch thru it.

A for the breach plug, I don't know if you are using an inline, caps or 209 shotgun primers. I carry an extra plug on my inlines, and just switch them out in the field. I always use a High Temp grease on the threads of the plug. regular gun lube can't handle the heat & gunk from 209 primers ingniting black powder. Roughly 15% of the black powder doesn't ignite, and leaves one more mess.

I need more information. Are you using percussion caps with powder pellets? Musket caps with powder pellets? Every hangfire I've had was using powder pellets and a percussion cap. Switch to loose powder and this won't be a problem. 209 shotgun primers with powder pellets really make hangfires a thing of the past also.

Sundance44s

Loose powder is much better than any pellet form ..I just can`t see a way of building a good load with the pellets ...dimishing returns would be hard to control with pellets . Use loose powder and those speed loaders of needed for hunting .

If you are using 209 primers, switch to the Winchester 777 primers. They are a little more expensive but I can shoot 20 or 30 times without a mis-fire or excess build up in the primer.

I also quit getting that crud build up ring in the base of the barrel, when I switched.
I also agree with the loose powder guys, I got away from pellets this year, and am having much better groups now.

thanks for the advise

You guys are right about the build up of crud at the point of ignition inside of the barrel. I am new at bp,and all I have ever used is the pellets. I want to start using the loose powder.I have been using 100 grain of 777 and a 295gr sabot with good results, but I have heard that changing the amount of powder by only 10 or 20 grains can really tighten up my shot groups. I use the winchester 209 primers with the 777. When I use loose powder should I stay with the same primers? What about barrel butter? I have never used it-does it make a big difference?

According to Hodgen, loose 777 is more potent than the 777 pellets so you can use less powder to obtain the same velocity:

50 CALIBER POWDER MEASURE SETTING TRIPLE SEVEN FFG (loose powder)
240 Gr. Hdy. XTP 50/44

70 GR. 80 GR. 90 GR. 100 GR.
1633 1703 1806 1883
-----------------
240 Gr. Hdy. XTP 50/44 with pellets

80 grains One 50 cal. / 50 gr. + One 50 cal. / 30 gr. 1613
90 grains Three 50 cal. / 30 gr. 1691
100 grains Two 50 cal. / 50 gr. 1801

Data:
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/muzzleloading/granular/t7rifle-sabot.php

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/muzzleloading/pellets/50sabot.php

About using bore butter with sabots, some people use it very, very sparingly to help with loading and to keep the first shot on target, but this might depend on the temperature and your individual rifle's preferences. Using it is not recommended by TC since it could slightly elevate barrel pressure and might even cause worse accuracy for some rifles
When I've used it, I swabbed with a minute amount in the top half of the barrel only after the powder was dropped but before the sabot was loaded, Not that it really matters, it's just that I didn't want the loose powder to stick to the inside of the lubricated barrel.

777 209 primers

Just a note on the Winchester Triple se7en 209 primers. I used them yesterday for the first time in my muzzleloader, and I did NOT like them. Unless you like the pop-BOOM pause between the primer and the powder going off, I wouldn't use them. Lucky I had some CCI primers left over. These are AWESOME! There is no hangup between the primer and powder. And YES, I do swab the barrel between EACH shot, so the breech couldn't be fouled over to cause the hangup of the 777.

Interesting, I like the Remington clean shot 209's for ML never had a delay fire yet! Haven't tried the 777 win primers.

Back