Hang fire

Jeff Thomas

OK, let me purge an old memory. Boy scout summer camp, New York, probably age 12, and my first introduction to firearms. Getting ready to go to the range with .22 rifles, and the instructor is amazing. Goes on and on about safety (that's just fine), and then goes on and on and on about 'hang fires'.

He describes what it is, and then tells us it doesn't happen often, but it is very, very dangerous. Says when it happens he puts the rifle in his car, pointed to the sky, drives down to the lake, yelling out the window 'hang fire, hang fire', and then ... I kid you not ... tosses the rifle into the lake! It is a dim memory now, but as I recall I actually saw this happen later in the week.

This was not a great introduction to firearms.

With my perspective as an adult, I understand this is a true problem. But I gather it is uncommon, and also not handled in the manner shown by my apparently 'crackers' Boy Scout instructor.

How should one handle this event, and is my perception wrong or was this guy in need of serious mental therapy?

Jeff; while the method suggested and demonstrated by your instructor has some merit, (mostly for comic relief), there is a much more common method.

If you have a failure to fire, keep the firearm firmly gripped and pointed down range for one minute. Then open the action, and eject the loaded cartridge. Examine it, and if it has a light primer strike, check your firearm for problems. If the primer strike is normal, carefully discard the cartridge in a safe place.

One item of particular concern; if you are shooting an autoloading pistol, keep your hands well clear of the ejection port when ejecting ANY live cartridge. Should the ejector strike the primer and detonate the cartridge, fragments may forcefully exit the ejection port, and your hand, if in the way, will be the worse for wear.

Happy shooting, and be safe. Walt

Back