Handicapped Goose Hunting

Kobra

I have a buddy going with us Saturday that is disabled from the waist down. We are hunting out of a cornfield so he have no real cover. He can get out of his chair and lay on the ground. But we are not allowed to dig on this property so a pit is out. Anybody have an innovative idea on how to hide his form. I suggest a big sheet and he thinks maybe one of those one person blinds that flip open would work.

Any ideas????

What about a coffin blind? I have never used one personally but I know several people who have used them with great success.

One-person blind sounds good.

Or another easy solution: get some military surplus camo netting. Put some corn stalks on it for additional realism. Make it 3-sided, with the open side to the decoys. Make sure he's wearing camo, too, especially a face cover.

Two of our buddies just bought those one person blinds so we are going to see how those work. But because he is paralyzed he can't do a situp without his hands and naturally they are needed to shoulder the gun and aim so I am questioning how well that will work for him.

Perhaps one of those big "hayroll" type blinds would work. You would probably need to have it in the field for awhile so it seemed more natural however. Another idea would be to have him sit in a some sort of reclining "chair" at about a 30-45 degree angle and then use burlap or camo netting to disguise him. The shotgun and his arms would need to be free, but he could stay lower to the ground that way. That way he wouldn't need to lay all the way down or sit up to shoot.

I own 1/2 a haybale blind. (hey, better than none of it!)

Was thinking that would work, the top half is set up to flip open quick... But it does NOT need to be in a field... Geese are so used to seeing the hay bales, that it doesn't even need to be in a hayfield!

I have two small children, so I have only used it once, too bad the geese didn't know it was hunting season, they were all on vacation that day.

HTH
Gfrey

We have came up with all those "store bought" ideas because tomorrow is our hunt we figured it was a little late to order something. Next year though.........

No we are going to try a lounge chair and a large piece of camo cloth.

You may laugh at this but it's true.....I was a skinny little kid target for the nva in 1968 and the results are crutches, prostetics and wheelchair....I still hunt, fish, shoot whatever..It takes a little tooling but thats no problem...My son drives me through the cut corn fields riding on the hood of his 196? buick. Ain't fallen off yet and we have a great ole time.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Uncle Sam needed one of my legs worse than I did, and I still like bird hunting, so I get with an old, slow dog, and we do some old slow hunting! Have a good time of it too!!

Well we threw my buddy in one of those blinds (forgot the brand name). It was a little tight because he is 6'4" 220lbs but we crammed him in there. He liked it so much he is going to buy one of those for next year.

As a side note, he basically saw no geese. Sucks.

Back