handi-rifle vs sporterized 8mm mauser k98

sbaker10

Turns out I will be having some unexpected bills putting an ar15 on the backburner, but I still want a gun to shoot coyotes with at 200 yards and under. The local gunstore has a mauser k98 that was sporterized and had scope rings attached. I want to make sure they fit a modern scope but if they do it seems like a reasonable gun for 200$ I'm not sure of the accuracy though. The other option for about the same is a handi rifle. Input?

If the Sporterized Mauser has a new barrel in a common caliber, then it might be a very good deal. You will want someone who knows rifles to check it out.

Otherwise get the Handi Rifle for what you want.

Jimro

I'd wager the Handi-Rifle will be a better choice than a run-of-the-mill "sporterized" Mauser. Since the caliber of the H&R was not given, we can't say whether that would have a bearing on the comparison.

i'd take the 8mm mauser, if its a '98. then you could put on a barrel for a 223 or 308 or 6.5creedmoor:D . my son's '98 mauser with all the bells and whistles, uses a 7x57 dougles premium barrel....just my 2cents

Get a .223 Handi and don't look back. The Mauser would be a project and if you don't have the money for a AR right now, you don't have the money for a Mauser project. Plus an 8mm won't be as easy to feed as a .223, if you want it large enough to hunt deer than get the .25-06 Handi you mentioned.

"i'd take the 8mm mauser, if its a '98. then you could put on a barrel for a 223 or 308 or 6.5creedmoor"
lots of work and expense involved in converting to .223 or 6.5
The 25/06 will provide excellent performance on both deer and coyotes.

Mobuck said:
"i'd take the 8mm mauser, if its a '98. then you could put on a barrel for a 223 or 308 or 6.5creedmoor"
lots of work and expense involved in converting to .223 or 6.5
The 25/06 will provide excellent performance on both deer and coyotes.

While a .223 wouldn't be worthwhile because of all the modifications you'd have to do to get it to work in the K98 actions. You can reabarrel to a .22-250 and 6.5 Creedmoor just as easily as a .308 since they all use the same rim diameter as the 8X57 Mauser.

I am casting my vote for the Handi-rifle. If the OP is wanting a rifle to shoot until he can get an AR-15, I think the H&R is the way to go. Reason being, it will be easier to resell the Handi-rifle to fund the AR project later on.

My little Handi Rifle in .223 is a darn good shooter, 200 yards would be no problem. Much less fuss/boom/kick than an 8x57 and ammo is much easier to find, especially varmit ammo. Light weight, short, easy to handle, and well just plain "Handi".

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the .223 Handi no questions asked. Not only does it fit your mission better, but it'd probably cost half as much to feed.

I have a tanker mauser given to me & it pretty much sits because I have no use for it (missing rear sight also) & ammo is nowhere to be found, or sky high.

I'll probably cut it up someday & put a barrel on it that's, well, anything but 8mm, lol!

I personally like the knockout punch and utility of the 8mm round, so I'd go with the Mauser as long as the barrel is in good shape and the scope mounts are installed properly. When you want something gotten rid of, it's hard to beat a 196-grain pill.

FYI, the .25-06 Handi is the only one that comes with a 26" barrel. That will squeeze top velocity out of that cartridge.

By the way, a .25-06 with most 75-87 gr bullets makes for a wicked coyote load. .223 and .22-250 does a good job as well and if your saving the hides I'd go with .223.

I'm a sporterized Mauser fan, I own one and love it, but for what your doing, 8x57 isn't the best round for you.

Back