Handguns In Alaska

Prof Young

Well I intended to attach two photos below but the don't seem to want to attach. Must be too big. So you'll just have to go by the descriptions. Sorry.

First is from Walmart in Anchorage. Yes, they do sell handguns at Walmarts in Alaska.

Second is from a Sportsman's Warehouse in Fairbanks. I just thought it was fun the way the handguns are displayed. Caliber listed across the top with a whole rack of that caliber, in all shapes and sizes hanging below. Fun Stuff.

Finally, with no picture, there is a store called Three Bears in Heely AK that has a great gun section. Lotta guns at okay prices.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Last edited:
The Sportsmans Warehouse in Chattanooga displays their handguns in the same way. I can remember when handguns were sold at our local Walmart.

Per the resident AK gun-guys who post their own YouTube vids, the hottest handgun sellers up there are the 10mm Glocks, in particular the Gen4 G20 model. Apparently the popular carry method is to use some make of center-chest rig.

They also relate that 10mm ammo is hard to source during the prime fishing seasons (where guys cast off river banks and around the edge of lakes), due to guys stocking up before they head into the boonies.

When I lived there by far the most popular handgun caliber was .44 mag amongst the natives, fishermen and guides.

But then again we had coastal browns to maybe worry about in addition to black bears.

Back