Handgun trade -- Model 10 and derringer for semi-auto

I was offered a model 10-5 and a 45lc/.410 derringer in trade for a broken m&p 9c . I dont know much about revolvers . I have never owned one . The model 10 is in pretty good shape and the derringer looks new . My 9c has quite a few extras but I dont really have the money to keep spending on it and still not have a working gun . Can anyone give me some insight ? I have read nothing but good about the model 10's and it seems like a pretty even deal .

zarekengland88: You probably should have started a new thread rather than resurrecting a six year old one.

It is still possible to buy Model 10s for about $300. If that is the area you value your M&P at, then it's a good trade.

However you should read the sticky post on checking out revolvers

Did they ever produce a model 10 with adjustable rear sights?

Howdy

Since we seem to have revived a six year old thread, the answer to your question is no. Strictly speaking, the Model 10 has always had fixed sights.

To give you a more complete answer, the predecessor to the Model 10 was the 38 Military and Police revolver. First cataloged in 1899. It went through a few internal design changes and in 1905 the mechanism was perfected and continued to be produced under that name until 1957. There was a Target Version of the 38 M&P with adjustable sights early on. This one was made in 1917. Notice the tiny adjustment screws for the rear sights, and notice the lack of a barrel rib.

MP%20target%2001_zpszvedd98o.jpg

In 1946 Smith and Wesson introduced the K-38 Target Masterpiece. Basically the same gun as the older M&P Target Model with the addition of a barrel rib, different front sight, and the modern click adjustable rear sight.

Here are a couple of K-38s. The top one with the funky fake stag grips was made in 1957, the bottom one was made in 1950.

2k38s02_zps0886d89f.jpg

In 1957, Smith and Wesson changed over to a model number system for cataloging all of its products. The old 38 Military and Police, with fixed sights, became the Model 10. The K-38 with no significant changes, became the Model 14. This Model 14-3 was made in 1974.

model14-301_zps7d629ba9.jpg

Since that time there have been various other offerings of the old 38 M&P design made with and without target sights, both blued and stainless.

The last one I acquired was back in December. It is a Model 10-6, heavy barrel, as a trade-in by the Mobile, AL Police Dept. It belonged to their SWAT unit. I paid $271. 56 plus 10% sales tax. It is in about 80% appearance condition and is absolutely perfect mechanically.

In 1957, Smith and Wesson changed over to a model number system for cataloging all of its products. The old 38 Military and Police, with fixed sights, became the Model 10. The K-38 with no significant changes, became the Model 14.

Just to expand on this a bit. Prior to numbered models, S&W had two different variations on the K-38. The K-38 Target Masterpiece became the Model 14. The K-38 Combat Masterpiece became the Model 15.

The K-38 Combat Masterpiece became the Model 15.

This was one of S&W's quirks with their numbering system early on. Because their literature had different names for essentially the same gun with different barrel lengths "Target Masterpiece" vs. "Combat Masterpiece" each one received a unique model number.

S&W made the Combat Masterpiece with a 4" barrel and also a 2" barrel. There were a lot of cops who carried the 2" version of their duty gun either for off-duty carry or as their primary gun as a detective.

M15_1665GL.jpg

the Model 10

There may be a load of them coming available soon as a very large security company in Florida is switching to pistols. They were issuing model 10, 64, 15, and some rugers and Tauri....

Again with the model 10

While the sexy glocks and like auto's get the lions share of popularity, the S&W Military and Police revolver, later known as the model 10 has been plodding along with the 1911 as the sidearm of our military and police. The model 10 and it's progeney have served more than any other handgun i can think of.... like so many others I have my own model 10 stories as I carried one for over 20 years. I still have my battle scarred gun that is still as sweet as the day I first strapped it on. The best IMO improvement ever was the introduction of the model 13 what allowed me to carry a .357 in a model 10.

Glenn Dee, Do you know or heard any rumors as to which distributor this large security company is trading with?

Back