Handgun selection? Setting yourself up for success?

Kimio

So I eventually want to get into competition shooting. USPSA or IDPA would be cool (still researching and reading up on what is required)

That said, I also want to pick the right tool for the job. Initially I was thinking of just using my future carry handgun to get into the games, that being a CZ75 Compact or CZ P-01in 9MM.

However, it dawned on me that this may not exactly be ideal, due to the shorter sight radius either pistol affords to the user. Would a regular full sized CZ75 be more ideal for this task, or would my carry gun(s) do the job just fine for someone who's just entering the arena?

i carry either a colt commander or a PX4 40 cal. both 4-4.25" barrels and shorter sight radius. i also shoot both in IDPA. had a match this past saturday. PX4 did great.

use what you have. learn to shoot well. that's the steepest learning curve. a fancy gun just for matches won't aid you much to begin.

go, have fun, be safe, learn something each time. i think you'll enjoy it, i have so far (2 matches in the bag and still learning lots).

winning where?

All my "competition guns" are my actual I-wear-'em guns.

'Cept I don't shoot Production.

A33102

Use what you have for starters,,,

Would a regular full sized CZ75 be more ideal for this task, or would my carry gun(s) do the job just fine for someone who's just entering the arena?

To answer the sight radius question,,,
The difference in overall length is .85 inches.

While yes, that will make some difference,,,
Is it enough to worry about?,,,
Probably not to a tyro.

I don't compete in IDPA or USPSA,,,
So I don't know what is required of a gun.

But I have seen entry level people go awry in many other endeavors.

We (me included) always want to gear up with the best equipment right out of the gate.

I've seen this in Archery, Biking, Shooting, RC Airplanes, Photography, whatever,,,
No one wants to be handicapped by bad equipment,,,
But when starting out in a new arena,,,
Good enough is good enough.

Go with your CZ-75 Compact at first,,,
Start playing the game and enjoy yourself,,,
Have fun and learn everything there is to know about the sport.

You might find that the Compact is in fact the right pistol,,,
You might also find a completely different gun suits you better,,,
But no matter what you decide you will be doing it based on experience.

In short, run what ya brung,,,
Use the entry level shoots to learn with,,,
Then make a decision on buying a new gun or not.

Decisions based on experience are the best.

JMnsHO - YMMV

Aarond

I've shot both "real carry guns" and total gamer guns in competition, and while your scores will suffer with the former, if your goal is to become more proficient with your carry gun, then don't worry about the score.
You may find that you get hooked on the sport for what it is, rather than a means to something else, and then you'll want a gun that's for the sport.
It becomes a disease. :)
Some buddies and I discussed using carry guns for competition on our podcast (the bookends are USPSA and IDPA Master class shooters). Skip to the 9:00 mark, if you don't want to enjoy the light-hearted banter. http://www.powerfactorshow.com/2012/05/22/episode-74-carry-guns-in-competition/

Would a regular full sized CZ75 be more ideal for this task, or would my carry gun(s) do the job just fine for someone who's just entering the arena?

The full sized CZ75B would be the better gun to use for competition. (IDPA)

With that said, it is not really a carry gun but can be and some do carry it. What are you giving up by using a CZ 75 P-01, about an inch and a quarter of sight radius.

IDPA is scored not only on speed but accuracy as well, the more accurate the better your score will be.

For IDPA I use a 5 inch Taurus PT-92 as my game gun and for carry a 3.8 inch CZ 75 P-01 or my Bersa 3.6 inch Thunder 45 Ultra Compact Pro. With the PT-92 I can shoot ESP or SSP, with the CZ, I can shoot SSP only.

While the PT-92 is a much larger gun, it can be concealed (required for IDPA) but not one that I would carry around all day long.

If you are thinking of shooting IDPA on a regular basis to improve your shooting skills, I would recommend that you pick up a pistol just to use in that sport. While you may think that you are there only to practice with your carry gun, you will get sucked up into the competition the minute you start to pull the trigger. (LOL) There is no way to get away from that.

Jim

last week, i shot my PX4 (same trigger action as your 92), and was told it was SSP. re-read the rules when i got home, and it seemed to me it should have been ESP based on the DA/SA trigger.

doing the classifier next month, pondering using my gold cup (it's really sweet). that would cover CDP, ESP, and SSP ratings.

I think your Gold Cup could go CDP or ESP, but no SSP since it can't do DA.

Good luck and shoot straight, and fast. (LOL)
Jim

If your PX4 is DA/SA then it is a SSP.

Agreed, a Gold Cup is a natural CDP. You can shoot it in ESP but are at a capacity disadvantage, there is no 10 round .45 magazine that will fit The Box. I do ok in ESP with some shop made and modified 9 round .45 magazines and midrange target loads. But that is kind of a novelty item.

They are SSP because they are DA.
You can shoot any SSP in ESP or CDP depending on caliber.

I don't know how to make it any clearer. Maybe you could read the rules.

The M9 GI Beretta does not have a cocked and locked condition for safe holster carry. You would not be allowed to start with a holstered cocked and unlocked pistol. The only way I can think of to shoot it SA only would be to start with it in condition 3 and thumb-cock the hammer on the draw.

The PX4 appears to be set up the same way.

You may continue the debate with your local Match Director since you seem not to credit me and the other active IDPA shooters here.

Still don't understand why a px4 or M9 isn't ESP.

They are, but they are not limited to ESP.
Striker-fired and DA/SA guns are legal for SSP, so they also qualify for ESP.
From the rule book, for SSP:

8.2.1.1.3. Be double action, double action only, or striker fired.

8.2.1.2.1. Selective DA/SA firearms will start hammer down.

In ESP, you have the option of starting with the hammer cocked, but only if the gun has a manual safety that is engaged when the gun is holstered.
Striker-fired guns, for some reason, are treated the same as a DA gun with the hammer down, even when the striker mechanism is cocked.

Last edited:
My favorite is the EAA Witness. With standard and comped barrels/slides in 9mm&40S&W along with an optics rail allowed me to choose between stock to unlimited, major or minor. I can run several classes or choose who I want to compete against.
Jim Watson ; good point on decocker guns. I tell people who cry about having two different trigger pulls that is why God gave you a thumb for crying out loud but I came up shooting SA revolvers.

Last edited:
Back