Handgun scopes

a 2x fixed or a variable in the 1.5-4x range. if you are looking for precision paper punching a 4x or higher variable, for hunting anything over 2x is probably too much IMO.
I have had Burris and Leupold LERs on handguns with good results.

327 FM.

A good low powered Burris or a low powered Leupold should fit your needs. With a 2X you get a wide field of view. On my contender I have a 2/7 X. When set on 7X the field of view is so small that I have difficulties finding a soda can at 100 yards. However, after I aquire the target I can pin point my shot.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

What was said already is correct...........

I started with a Lupold 1.5X on a T-C Contender.........25 years or so ago.....and it worked well, liked it.

And then a friend let me use his with a Red Dot.......got one of those now.....love it.

One thing though......no magnification and you do lose a few minutes early and late when the traditional scope would gather a little more light.

If you plan on long range stuff......listen to the Sgt..........

I use a SRH IN 454 Casull & a T/C encore pistol in 7mm-08 And a Nikon 2.5-8 x28 with good results. Bswiv is right you will lose light faster with a scope the higher power the faster. & you need a prop or sandbag with higher mag. also.But it sure helps @ 200yds.

Good answers so far. But lacking on one point.
Find out if your chosen scope will hold up to magnum recoil.
I have a scope on my desk in front of me that went belly up after one cylinder of .44 mag. shots from my Redhawk.
Whatever you choose, make sure it has a good warranty.

I have a Leupold M8-4X EER on my Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt. I'm very pleased with it.

HPIM1145.jpg

Thanks for all of your replies. You guys have been a big help.

Bigfoot,

I LOVE your gun! Last summer I had a chance to buy that same model for $500 and did not. Add that to the list of, "If I could go back in time."

Did you have to ream out the cylinder throats? Ruger has a reputation of beeing undersized on their 45 colts.

I put a Red Dot scope on my .44 Magnum Super Red Hawk about 5 years ago, and I doubted that it would hold up to the re-coil, but it has lasted through 2 batteries and at least 500 rounds, without any problems. It is much faster to get on target with than a conventional cross-hair type scope, which makes it great for hunting. I think I gave around $100.00 for it, which makes it the least amount of money I ever spent for a scope, that has lasted this long.

Nathan,

454 Casul and would only shoot 45 colt.

Deer and pronghorn

As far as I can be proficient. Wheather that's 70 yards or less or 125 yards or more.

Back