Handgun purchase via mail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JERKY

I picked up a magazine today that offers the sig pro 2340 NIB for $399 !!!! This is the best ive seen yet.

The dealer is in IL. Does anyone know what the process is for buying a handgun from a dealer in a diffrent state? I am in MD. and i assume ill have to go through a FFL holder to get it ordered. If so, how much does a dealer normally charge for passing the gun along? I would think that no dealer would want to do this being it does not sell a gun for himself. Of course im sure someone here can steer me right.

------------------
TIM : )

The publication is called GUN LIST.

The company that is selling these for $399 is called R Guns, They do not have an email on this AD. they also are offering a sig 232- 380cal with night sights and 2 7 rd. mags. with carrying case for $325. Sig 226-357cal with night sights and 2 10rnd mags for $580, same thing in .40cal for $580. Sig 229-357cal in two tone with night sights and 2 10 rnd mags for $550 with free shipping on all items if ordered before december 4th

This place is too good to be true. I think Im going to call them on Mon and get the lowdown.

------------------

Gun List i will check that out. please give me the lowdown when you call yes it does seem to good to be true but you never know i will also give them a call. thanks

A lot of dealers will handle this sort of transaction for a fee. I work thru a local dealer who charges 10% plus shipping and any tax. Of course your dealer might wish to do otherwise.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Now before you start depleting your savings and selling your stocks, you have to takeinto consideration the other costs associated with tranferring a gun over state lines. Those prices look incredible but you have to factor in shipping (insured and probably expressed) +~$20 if not greater, FFL transfer + at least $15 of not more per gun (unless you're really good friends with an FFL holder), + what ever sales tax your state/city is since you will be actually buying it locally through the dealer. If you're not really up on tranferring guns you might get gigged by a less reputable FFL holder who'll tack on additional BS fees and taxes.

When you look at the total cost of buying guns through ads the prices are not all that great compared to gunshows and, at times, through retail sales. Occasionally, you'll find a decent gun shop that sells at good prices.

- Ron V.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited November 07, 1999).]

Greetings Jerky; I just purchased a handgun
from a dealer in Illinois, and I live in
Alabama. Here's how it work's; 1) first
make the deal, 2) get a signed copy of the
receiving dealer's FFL, 3) get a postal money
order for the total amount of the transaction
(this will include charges for overnight UPS
air delivery), 4) send to the selling dealer'
via U.S. Mail, or handle your method of
payment by other means. In my case, the
receiving dealer only charged me a total of
$20.00, for the use of his license. No sales
tax was collected; due to the fact that this
was an interstate transaction. Hope this helps some.

------------------
Ala Dan

My folks live in Illinois and I had the opportunity to visit R guns myself to see if they were ligit. The guy I spoke to, Joe Bobak, was a very decent guy. I picked out the best Sig 226 police trade + hi cap mag that they had for $379. A little brownell's instant blueing agent and new grip screws, and the gun looked almost brand new! I am going to visit Illinois again this Christmas and pick out a used 220 for the same price... FYI, I would have no hesitation buying from R guns again.

Looks like this may be promising !

I have a fedex account so i dont have to worrie about shipping. they can charge it right to me. As far as R Guns goes, seems they are reputable. I am gonna give em a call and go from there. thanks for everyones help !

------------------

Hi, Guys,

All of this becomes easier if you make friends with your local dealers. Buy from them and visit regularly. Then when you want them to handle a shipment, they will do so willingly and sometimes at no cost.

But always talk things out in advance, so both parties understand the ground rules on service charge, paperwork, etc. A percent charge is not good. If the gun is a $69 junker special, the dealer doesn't get enough for his service. If it is a $12,000 engraved SAA, the buyer gets hurt, $1200 worth.

Jim

Tim, a little additional note. It is OK to ask a dealer to let you use his service to buy a collector's item or something not in the normal channels. But to ask him to order a current gun, selling for less than he can buy it for wholesale, is not so good, and many dealers flat won't do it.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back