handgun purchase for younger brother

uncballzer

My younger brother has some property next to my parent's that has a few buildings, one of which had someone to try break into it today. Luckily my brother got there before he got in and scared him off. Well that made me figure out what to get him for christmas. He's 20 right now, so what would be the legality of me purchasing him a handgun? I know he could carry it, but what else am I missing? This is in north carolina also. Thanks for the help!

Go online and check your local laws. In Iowa it is 18 to posses but 21 to buy. On a tangent, a shotgun might be a better choice for a farmyard with its greater distances.

Code:
Go online and check your local laws. In Iowa it is 18 to posses but 21 to buy. On a tangent, a shotgun might be a better choice for a farmyard with its greater distances.

He's got a shutgun he can carry right now, although I'd like him to become proficient w/ a handgun as well. Plus the buildings are short range to the house, nothing really far away he'd be concerned about.

This is the kind of present I'd tell the person about first. Pistols are not one size fits all.
Perhaps a gift certificate to a gun store.

You can however buy yerself a handgun and your brother can use it right?
I bought several long guns for junior and I will Give them to him when he is 18;)
brent

I realize the following seems like a distinction without a difference: however, although you may legally give your brother a pistol you cannot purchase it for him.

The distinction stems from the ATF using undercover agents to bust FFL dealers. The agents lead the dealer into believing that they want to make a straw purchase. The reality is that both agents could legally buy the handgun but they make the dealer believe otherwise. Therefore, for all practical purposes a straw purchase is no longer simply buying for a prohibited person, but rather the intended purchaser must be the actual purchaser to avoid a straw purchase.

This allows prosecution of FFL dealers who demonstrate the willingness and intent to engage in a straw purchase, even when none of the parties to the sale are prohibited persons. Personally, I think it is a heavy-handed tactic and not necessary to catch the few dealers who engage in questionable business dealings.

Also be aware that State law varies (e.g. it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to possess a handgun in South Carolina).

Therefore, to answer your question directly, unless your brother is prohibited from possessing a handgun, you may legally give him a handgun.

I do think that for practical purposes, the shotgun will definitely shift the balance of advantage towards your bro. for the time being. If the bad guy has a knife or some dinky pistol, upon spying a beeg fat 12 guage full of buckshot or hearing the slide rack, that might discourage the creep moreso than a pistol? Never take a pistol to a fight with a shotgun or rifle. Or like some say, the pistol is to protect you till you can get ahold of your more effective ordnance. If you have the scattergun at hand, then the pistola maybe ain't necessary. Generations of rural types have kept the shotgun instead of a pistol ready to go if there is trouble and it works. Maybe get him some tactical accesories instead of the pistol for Christmas. Like a barrel mounted hi intensity light or laser, or combo of both. Stock mounted holder for extra shells. No one is gonna screw with him carrying that big stick.

Im from NC, and I think the legal issue for ownership stems from the handgun purchase permit. Legally your brother would have to use one even in a private gift situation. I think the loophole is that he can possess it, from 18 yrs old till he turned 21, but it would technically be your weapon, and you would be responsible for it.

Im from NC, and I think the legal issue for ownership stems from the handgun purchase permit.
Good point as it emphasizes the need to know the law for the jurisdiction in which you reside.

Thankfully, South Carolina does not require a permit for the purchase of a handgun. Additionally, legislation was passed that prevents municipalities from enacting ordinances that are more restrictive than State law regarding the regulation of firearms (of course you still can’t shoot within city limits:p). In effect, it keeps city and county councils from banning or severely restricting an individual’s RKBA. And a couple of years ago, we even got rid of the 1 handgun a month law.

While I disagree with the need for licensing for concealed carry, a South Carolina CWP allows the carry of any firearm that is less than 12 inches. Open carry is illegal. If open carry were legal, I would understand the basis for concealed weapon permits even though I would still consider them unnecessary.

Back