Handgun of the Millennium

pete80

Alright, I was getting bored and I couldn't come up with anything else besides this cheesy topic.

What's your pic and why? I'd like to start it off with the 1911 because I really respect any design that has lasted 80+ years. Countless men have carried it into combat including several vet's in my family. Then again, there is the GLOCK...

Well, if we're talking handgun of the millenium we should probably be focusing on the first true revolvers, as these were the weapons that the made handguns usefull for something beyond just dueling.

As for the 1911 it should certainly be on any short list for gun of the millenium because it certainly revolutionized handgun design.

For that same reason the Glock might make the cut to be on the top ten list, though it is still realitively young to measure its true impact from any kind of a historical perspective.

All in all I would pick the first of the true revolvers for the reasons mentioned above - which leads me to ask which one that was as my knowledge of 19th century handguns is strictly limited.

------------------
"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example. . ." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Handgun of the 20th Century?

the 1911, of course.

Handgun of the Millennium?

some type of revolver...

Ah, that's easy--the 1911, followed closely by the Browning High-Power. That John Moses Browning feller sure knew his stuff--a veritable genius the likes of which we'll never see again. But his legacy lives on...

Sic semper tyrannis

freedomlover

You pistol guys have got to be kidding, right?

Handgun of the Millennium is the Smith & Wesson model 27 followed by the model 29.

Only a wheel guns is guaranteed go "Bang" every time.

Robert

Well, we should probable settle on what criteria we are going use to determine the hundgun of the millenium. For me, I'd focus on the contribution the weapon made to the development of handguns in combimnation with the quality of the weapon itself - i.e. did it manage to revolutionize handguns while being a great handgun in and of itself?

Perhaps one of the Colt revolvers used in the civil war, or the famed "peacemaker" as it was a great gun and the first to be mass-marketed successfully.

Handgun of the Century? Why, the Lorcin .380. A gun for the common folk. Sure, it has enemic stopping power, and a little problem with feeding and extraction with certain brands of ammo. But If you are a poor person in need self-defense and the sum of $60 has you contemplating the benefits of self protection vs. eating, the Lorcin .380 is the gun for you. Yes, you'll never get thousands of rounds through it, like a high-dollar handgun, but since Kleck figures that 99% of defensive gun use does not employ shooting the crook,but merely letting the crook know you are armed, a Lorcin is adequate for most of your lower-income self defense needs.

Rick

------------------
"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American." Tench Coxe 2/20/1788

Hmmmm, millenium? Well, it's gotta be the first gun to breech-load a metallic, self-contained, cartridge.
I'm not sure, but I think it may have been the Colt Paterson, in .44 rimfire.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
-Kframe

I'll go with the Colt 1836 Navy. This was the first truely sucessful and popular revolver. There were revolvers before it, but the Navy was the one that really proved they could work and work well.

Millennially speaking, I'm with Greyfox--Col. Colt's first really practical revolver would be my choice.

In the 20th century, I'd go with the BHP.

For the Millenium? I'd lean toward the SAA over the .36 Navy, mostly because of its impact on a world-wide basis. That is, it was carried to Africa and Asia, as well as all over North America. Further, its design is still in use today.

Sure, there are now better revolvers; a double-action can deliver six or more shots much faster. But they aren't of a continuous, no-fundamental-change design concept. And for the majority of all users, they apparently are being supplanted by the semi-autos.

For the Century? The Colt Govt Model. Seminal design, technologically ahead of its time compared to all others for over 50 years, and still in production. And cloned...

FWIW, Art

Back