Handgun Noise Levels - Your Views

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike H

Guys,

Noise levels in handguns is an issue that has interested me for some time, and I think it warrants some investigation.

I've heard several anecdotal stories regarding what happens when there are no ear plugs around. One regarded an undercover narc who found it necessary to discharge his .357 snubbie in a tile floored corridor. He said the effect was the same as one of those disorientation flash bangs that the SWAT Tactical entry teams use. He was knocked off his feet as a result of noise disorientation, his vision was blurred, temporarily deaf and on the verge of being unconscious for a couple of seconds. Second story concerned someone who was walking back to his home from some outdoor range through a large wooded area he knew well, he discharged a single shot from his weapon (type unknown), the first shot he EVER fired without ear protection and seriously damaged his hearing. I also understand that the LEO's who let rip with 30 plus 9mm ball in the NYC Diallo shooting recently had to be treated for minor ear damage at the local ER (which is more than can be said for Mr.Diallo of course). Personally, I fired a PT-99 recently without ear protection (by accident) and found it uncomfortable, a similar experience with a .38 snubbie was much less pleasant. I rate noise levels as follows :

Noisiest - 357 Sig / 357 mag snubs
.45 ACP / .40 S&W
.38 snub
revolvers 4" bbl plus
9mm autos at least 4" bbl

This is purely a personal viewpoint of perceived noise, but I can't help but think about the detrimental effects of noise / muzzle blast call it what you will, to an individuals shooting ability in a lethal force encounter, particularly indoors, say in your bedroom at night when confronted by an intruder.

I'm keen to get a H&K in .357 Sig, but I'm concerned that the gun has severe limitations as a house gun for this very reason, especially with a compact barrel length.
Opinions please.

------------------
Mike H

Some good points made here. ive read some studies that prove hearing damage done by gunshots. There is a DB level that our ears can comfortably reach before damage occurs. I have shot in the woods without protection and even if i wanted to i couldnt stand but 3 shots before i either..

1)stuck the .45 cal bullets in my ears as earplugs,

2)held my ears while others shoot.

3)stopped shooting

Medical studies have proven ear damage. That deters me from shooting un-protected. But real life experience is so painful it dont take medical proof to make me stop.

Although good points were brought up here, the last thing i am thinking about in the case of an intruder are my ears.

------------------
TIM : )

why wouldn't you invest in a good set of electronic ear muff. It then protects your ears from whatever caliber you want to shoot as a house gun.

A silencer/suppressor would help. Too bad "our" government makes it so difficult to buy them.

I find it interesting that we need to fill out ATF forms and pay hundreds of dollars for the privilege to be able to purchase a device that makes a gun safer to operate.

Why exactly are silencers/suppressors illegal anyway? What is the point when if they were legal then they could get major taxes from all the people who would buy them. I thought the government liked revenue...

I shoot a compensated .400 Cor-Bon barrel in my G21. It's much louder than the factory barrel. I wouldn't think of firing it without considerably more ear protection than a couple of .45 rounds in my ears.

I'll also stay out of tile rooms when I'm shooting without ear protection.

On the subject of ear protection... I have recently purchased ear plugs that are rated as high as normal ear covers. Are they safe? Has anyone used them? Why don't I see them used much?

David

I have heard a few stories as to why suppressors are illeagal, one of the most popular is because of poachers. I think the reason is because they "look evil", much like the so-called "assault weapons", with their flash suppressors, pistol grips, and those awful bayonet lugs(we have to stop all those drive-by bayonet stabbings). OK, I will stop ranting now.
Suppressors are legal in a number of states, but they are regulated under NFA rules, and you have to pay a $200 transfer tax, among other requirements. I was considering a Ruger .22 I saw the other day with an integrated suppressor (looked like a bull barrel), just can't seem to justify the expense of obtaining it. Oh well, maybe someday.

Hi Mike- I recently started shooting the .357 Sig round out of a Glock 32. I've also stepped up to double ear protection. I couldn't imagine firing that round off without protection.

After years of field artillery fire, loud concerts and now C-5,17 and 141 engines..well lets just say my ears have a nice little ring to them all the time. I take no chances now.

Hey even if you miss the BG with a .357Sig, you just might scare the life out of him :)

Noise is one reason why I try to avoid muzzle brakes and why I prefer slow and heavy to light and fast in pistols. I found that I flinch more from noise than from recoil.

I ALWAYS use ear plugs AND ear muffs. If I ever have to fire w/o them it will be to avoid fate worse than hearing damage. It is also the reason why I am consideringa 45acp for a house gun (instead of 357/9x19 combo).

cornered rat,

Are you saying that a 9x19mm is louder
than a .45 ACP?

I`m not sure, however, I thought the
DB for a 9x19mm bullet, out of a 5"
barrel was 160 db. A .45 ACP 230 FMJ
out of a 5" barrel was 163 db. I read
about this in a magazine article about
sound suppressors. The name of the
magazine was "Fighting Firearms".

I always wear double ear protection. I was stupid when I was younger and shot about 30 rounds of .357 mag ammo through a new ported revolver. My ears rung for days. I had a hearing test later and they found some hearing loss. For me ear protection does two things, protects ears and allows me to shoot guns with out flinch. Recoil doesn't bother a lot of people, but combine it with loud muzzle blast and you can scare a lot of people off. IMO the .44 mag is much more pleasant to shoot (noise wise) than the .357 mag. It seems like the .44 is more of a low boom than a sharp crack. Just my opinion. Shake

Would all of you please type in all caps? I'm 57 and I've been shooting for 50 years, the first 20 or so before we knew about hearing protection back in the boonies. I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Seriously, my hearing is damaged, particularly the high frequency range and women are especially hard to understand (yes, I'm speaking of their voices). I continually have to ask my wife to tell me what the people in movies and TV shows are saying. Very annoying to me and others.

Science tells us that even one unprotected firing from any handgun (any firearm for that matter) can cause damage and I believe it. I also believe that some people may be more susceptible than others--another poster mentioned the pain which made him avoid being without some form of protection. Loud noises HURT me; it's painful.

Some handguns cause me more pain than others. Some seem to be a loud "crack" while others are more of a "boom." Nevertheless, I'm convinced they all do damage the hearing to a greater or lesser degree.

Wanna know how many years it's been since I watched a ball game on TV and heard the referee's whistle? I don't hear a sound, but the noise of the crowd is "blanked out" for the duration of the whistle. For the first few months I thought the sound was on the fritz!

Here's to the ears! Let's save them while we can.

This has always been a concern of mine also. I think any caliber indoors without adequate hearing protection would be too loud and could cause permanent hearing damage.

I've been looking into electronic hearing protection recently and I think it is the only option.

This is a good topic since noise may affect your actions at a time when you need to be in complete control. I have a little illustration of how noise can affect the nervous system - it has nothing to do with firearms. About 30 years ago, I was standing in a NYC subway station (Clarke St. I think) waiting for the next train. I was feeling very subway-knowledgeable and daring and was standing about 1 foot from the edge of the platform. Well, the next train that came through was an express and that wasn't one of its stops, so it goes by at about 60 mph. For those that are familiar with the NYC subways, they know how loud they are in the station when the trains are going slow, try it when they're going fast! I have no idea what the db level was, but I would rather have been on an aircraft carrier deck with no micky mouse ears. I wanted to back up but I couldn't move, my legs were locked. The noise was obviously overloading my nervous system. Needless to say, I've never done that again. I often wonder if this phenomenon could be responsible for the occasional death when people fall into a moving train for no apparent reason.

I remember reading an Ed Sanow article about this a couple of years ago in Handguns. Might even still have the magazine. Almost any self defense handgun is going to cause permanent hearing loss when fired without hearing protection. Even a .22LR when fired from a pocket pistol is something like 120dB. The sharp crack caused by supersonic ,and usually medium caliber loads, may seem more painful, but are no more damaging under unprotected range conditions. Another writer in a different magazine choose the .380ACP as his home defense pistol caliber after a test involving firing several handguns in a darkened "room" without hearing protection. I have personally fired .357 & .44 Mags without plugs during deer hunting. My ears rang for hours afterward, but did not bother my shooting at the time. I also had the unfortunate experience of hearing a gun discharge inside a tiny livingroom. It was a standard pressure .38 Special. It was fired from a 4" barreled revolver. I was scared. It sounded like a handclap. My last hearing test was a month and a half ago. I have "normal" hearing. I still think noise could be a concern under certain self /home defense conditions. It is a good question and I would like to read other thoughts and experiences about this and muzzleflash, also. P.S. Last I read, the BG did NOT have his eardrums blown out by Mini-14 shot from inside car during Maimi shootout. Could be wrong, but hope this helps.

I damaged my ears by listening to diesel engines for twenty plus years. I've always worn good ear protection when shooting, but there has been the occasional mistake. Usually happens this way. Range master calls "cease fire", I put my weapon down and remove the muffs and wouldn't ya know some moron tries to get one last shot!
One or two shots while hunting never really seemed to bother me much. Maybe the open space or maybe my hearing is just past that point.
Take good care of those ears folks or you'll end up like me. The most common words in your vocabulary will be "HUH?" and "WHAT?"

From the 1911 Homepage

(Pardon my crappy formatting)
Numbers are in dB

Quiet street 50
Interior home noise 60
Conversation 70
Crowded restaurant 75
Kitchen appliances 80
City traffic 85
Threshold of pain 120
Jet engine at take-off 150
.410 shotgun 152
.22 LR pistol 153
20 gauge shotgun 155
.223 rifle 155
.25 pistol 156
12 gauge shotgun 156
.30-.30 rifle 156
.44 Special revolver 157
.22 Magnum pistol 157
.45 ACP pistol 158
.38 Special revolver 159
.30-06 160
9mm Para pistol 163
.357 Magnum revolver 164

Conclusion, invest in a set of electronic ear muffs. If I am placed in a home defence situation, I want every tactical advantage I can find. Having my hearing is on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back