Handgun Mag. - S&W M66 review

alamo

Got my new issue of "Handguns" yesterday. They had a review of a S&W model 66 with a 3.25" barrel and a "High Vis" front site. Wow! Great looking gun. I've got a 66 with a 4" barrel but that 3.25" barrel is just right.

Picked up a LNIB 3 inch M66-2 last weekend. Really surprised at how well it shoots. Beautifully balanced,accurate with minimal recoil. Gets back on target very fast for second shot follow ups. Gonna look for more tomorrow even if I have to wait a year for the purchase orders. Maybe an L or N Frame in .357mag with 3 or 4 inch barrels.
Ronin

The K Comp, F Comp nor the 3" 66 shoot lead worth a crap. WHAT LOADS ARE you guys using ??????????
....TXS....dewey

I have one of the 3.25 inch barreled ones with hi-viz sights, and it does not like lead at all (Georgia Arms, 158 grain LSWC at 1100 fps--my plinking/around the farm armmo).

It is on my to be traded list.

>>I have one of the 3.25 inch barreled ones with hi-viz sights,
>>and it does not like lead at all

You know, I'm hearing AND experiencing this problem with all the late model S&Ws. My 686 hates lead, my 586 loves it. Many posters, myself included, have commented on the very shallow rifling on these guns lately. What gives?

justinr1

shallow rifling in Smiths

I'm curious about the shallow rifling comments in later smiths. Anyone know the timeline for this change? I have a 686PP with what appears to be conventionally deep rifling and it loves CCI Blazer lead. I also have a 2.5 inch 66-1 but haven't tested it with lead as I plan to shoot .38 silvertips in it exclusively.
Thanks,
mac

My 3" 66 is a Lew Horton from a couple of years ago. It is very accurate with almost everything, including 158 Laser Cast SWC's.

Back