Handgun Instruction in Columbus Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomMarker

Hey all,

I've been looking for a place where I can receive some further instruction in shooting a handgun. I've gotten a few pointers from my dad growing up, but he really doesn't have anything else to teach me :)

I would prefer getting a good grip on the basics first, but would like to move on to something more self-defense oriented. A place where I can rent a gun to figure out what I'd like to eventually purchase would also be nice. :)

Thanks!
Tom

Tom,

I, too, live in Columbus. Small world, huh? :)

For basic marksmanship instruction, the Powder Room in Powell is a good place to go. Dan Asper, the instructor, has a great sense of humor and he understands the theory behind "front sight - press".

To try out rental guns, or for more "tactical" instruction, check out the New Albany Shooting Range on Rt. 62, north of Rt. 161. They've got a clean, modern range and a great selection of rentals. Downsides: it's expensive and it gets crowded on the weekends.

For a hard-core type of shooting school that's a good bit closer than LFI or Thunder Ranch, there's the Tactical Defense Institute down near Cincinnati. I haven't been there but I plan to go as soon as I can convince my better half to put it in our budget. ;)

Matt,

thanks for the tips.. i'd noticed both in the yellow pages, but i was hoping someone could give me some advice as to which one I should check out.

I figured anything in New Albany would be somewhat pricy. Although it might be easier for me to get to New Albany than Powell :) I'm relatively settled on purchasing a Glock 9mm as I can easily afford it, and it seems pretty darned reliable.

My Girlfriend has caught the bug too, after firing a handgun for the first time in her life at my parent's house over the 4th of July weekend. (.454 Kasull) so she'll prolly wanna come along as well. The more the merrier I say.

Another future possibility is the Small Arms Firing School [SAFS] at Camp Perry during July [of 2000]. I believe the cost is nominal. [It was free for years but recently a small charge was added]. The instructors are the finest bullseye shooters in the world, they supply the guns and ammo and you get to go to the World Series of Shooting for 2 days. I used to go yearly and then began taking my kid and even the neighborhood kids. Hope I made a few frinds for the shooting sports. Quantrill

Quantrill,

Could you provide additional information on Small Arms Firing School [SAFS] and World Series of Shooting, please? (i.e., contacts, directions, etc.)

Also,

Is Vance's still operating in Columbus? What other good shops and ranges are around that area? (I'm in Belpre.)

- Ron V.

------------------

Small world. Lots of Buckeyes here. A friend teaches the NRA basic handgun course in Weirton WV. That would be a pretty good drive for you. Does anyone in Columbus area teach it? After you have the basics you should try IDPA. You will learn a lot from the other shooters. I am about 2 hours east of Col. Bill

[This message has been edited by BillOH (edited August 12, 1999).]

Ron,

Yes, Vances is still open in Columbus. They expanded and redecorated the store last year and it's better than ever.

Other good shops around Columbus: Davis Guns, in Plain City (a long way from Belpre!), the two Galyans stores (although buying a gun there requires dealing with the City of Columbus's paperwork -- a bad experience, I hear), and Buckeye Outdoors near Buckeye Lake. For serious target shooter's there's Champion Shooters' Supply in New Albany.

Small Arms Firing School is an introduction to the theory and practice of marksmanship, especially as applied in bullseye competition with the service pistol (M1911A1 or M9). There's also a Rifle SAFS, BTW.

It's a terrific learning experience. First, instructors from the military shooting teams lecture on various subjects: the fundamentals (trigger control, sight alignment) and all the nuances (stance, grip, recoil recovery, concentration, et cetera). Then students head to the firing line in small groups with a coach for some hands-on instruction.

Pistol SAFS is held at Camp Perry in mid-July on the two days before the start of the National Matches.

It should be noted that Vance's is probably also the best place in town to buy a knife.

Galyan's has a few as well, but there stock is always tactical black/partially serrated junk.

Glad to see there are a lot of Buckeyes in the area...

Thanks for all the tips so far.

..tm

If you can swing the cost, Ayoob teaches the LFI-1 class outside Dayton once or twice a year. He has a web site but I forget the address. If you can afford it, I highly recomend the class.

------------------
keep your options open &
never miss!

Tom,
Matt is correct about the New albany gun club being pricey. I happened to be out there the other evening shooting a few of my new guns. I was very impressed with there range. It was very clean and you can shoot pistol rifle or shotgun on there ranges. The one thing that might take the sting out of the price is there range policy. You can shoot all day for the same price unless the range become crowded ($15.00). Then they will hold you to the one hour. The trick is finding the time that it will not be crowded. Weekend obviously will be crowded but evenings during the week usually are not. If you can take the time off or are able to be there during the day you might have the range all to yourself. Either way you will enjoy the new gun shop there.

One more thing, about the Powder room. It has been a long time since I've been there but I believe they have a limit on the volocity you can shoot there. If I remember correctly it's nothing over 900 fps. Like I said though, it has been a long time since I've been out there. They may have changed that policy.

Thanks everyone for the info! Sorry for the late thank you. Was in Parma Hts, (outside of Cleveland) visiting family, watching Formula 1 and CART, ad getting a CD changer put in my car.

Ken Hackathorn of IDPA fame lives around this part of OH. Still have to look him up.

- Ron V.

------------------

Hey guys, another Buckeye here (just East of Columbus about 10 min. from New Albany Guns). New Albany is expensive but offers the best facilities and instructers. You can also shoot ANY caliber gun there while the Powder Room is handgun only and they prefer that you use factory loads only. At N.A. members shoot for free on Mondays,I think, so better to avoid that day. It gets really busy in the winter also, so get some time in now if you can. There is another range up in Delaware on Route 36/37 called the "Lighthouse" It has a gun range and pool tables so you can choose what you want to shoot :). Take it easy.

There's also the COPOTA (Central Ohio Police Officers' Training Academy) range in Grove City, southwest of Columbus, which is open to the public at various times during the week.

I've never heard anyone at the Powder Room say that they prefer factory loads versus handloads. They do restrict full-power loads in the louder calibers (.357/.41/.44 Magnum, .454 Casull, .50 AE) since they're in a residential area and their sound-proofing isn't very good.

The New Albany range doesn't limit calibers, but they do have some ammunition restrictions: no plain lead bullets, no mil-surp ammo, no birdshot or buckshot, and no steel core ammo. Also, no cardboard targets and shooters have to have side shields on their safety glasses (as of 1 August 99).

Both ranges allow full auto fire. :)

And I forgot another place to get instruction: PRO (the People's Rights Organization) holds basic handgun and NRA personal protection classes several times a year.

For the Central Ohioan who's willing to drive a bit there are some great bowling pin shoots at the Dillon range east of Columbus in the Newark/Zanesville area.

Matt: I guess that I wasn't clear in my remark about the Powder Room and ammo restrictions. I get a little lazy typing at times. Your right, but it's a little hard to prove that your handloads in large calibers meet their requirements. I no longer shoot there (just don't like the owner..is he still alive?) but I know of a couple of handloaders who aren't allowed to shoot their(.44)handloads there. New Albany is pretty restrictive also which is why I drive an hour up north to shoot at a buddies farm. The first visit to New Albany can be a little trying on the patience. They did'nt like my ammo or my targets (had to buy both from them) Filled out the paper work, gave them my drivers license, Shot for about 20 minutes and it cost me about $35. I found the experience to be a little less pleasant then getting a speeding ticket. I have been back though (got some free passes) and once you get used to the drill, it's tolerable.

Bob Trowbridge, the owner of the Powder Room, has retired and turned over the operation of the range to his daughter. Bob's quite a crusty old character who probably did rub some folks the wrong way. He always made it clear that the Powder Room was HIS shop and it was going to be run HIS way.

The last time that I went in there i was looking to buy a High Power. When I asked to see one in the showcase he told me " We prefer to keep new guns pristine, it wouldn't be fair to the purchaser to get a gun that has been handled by everyone" I knew that this was BS because I had handled dozens of guns there. I had been a lifetime member of the range for five years or so at that time. I just looked at him and told him that I wouldn't be the owner of anything he sold. Haven't been back since. Ain't competition grand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back